Solved! Are more expensive laptops more durable?

Jun 13, 2019
If you had experience with laptops, tell me if expensive laptops are more durable than cheap laptops. And how quickly can each category of laptop deteriorate over time, because I bought a new cheap laptop and it withstood savage beating. The motherboard still functions. Later I bought 2 very old cheap laptops that used to be quite expensive, one laptop could only take a few beatings before it gave out, and the other laptop took just one blow before it switched off permanently and never turned on again. I should expect that such expensive machines should be more durable, or are some brands more resilient?

Solution
The answer is "depends". Usually more expensive means build better and with higher end parts. But usage is a huge part of reliability. You get some 16 yr old with a system that tosses is around or tries to overclock it, system will die. You hit something just in the right spot, and something can be damaged.

The most reliable systems I have worked on have been the Lenovo T, W and X models, at least the older ones. I very rarely had to do anything to them aside from replacing a hard drive that failed or a dock port issue.

If you are getting systems that take "beatings", you are not using laptops properly, at least not the right types of laptops. They make rugged laptops that are made for working in tough environments, but those...
The answer is "depends". Usually more expensive means build better and with higher end parts. But usage is a huge part of reliability. You get some 16 yr old with a system that tosses is around or tries to overclock it, system will die. You hit something just in the right spot, and something can be damaged.

The most reliable systems I have worked on have been the Lenovo T, W and X models, at least the older ones. I very rarely had to do anything to them aside from replacing a hard drive that failed or a dock port issue.

If you are getting systems that take "beatings", you are not using laptops properly, at least not the right types of laptops. They make rugged laptops that are made for working in tough environments, but those are pricey. Tough Book models are probably the most commonly known. Systems made to be small and sleek and fancy tend to fail more often, no matter how much they cost.

Reactions: sprotz
Solution