Are there any Alternatives to Fraps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGNDaily

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Is there any software like Fraps that will have less of an impact on the performance of games and is there any software that takes up less storage when recording.

Solution

What are you talking about? Fraps is not a freeware, it costs 37$. As for alternatives to Fraps:

1. Dxtory
2. Bandicam
3. GeForce ShadowPlay (Nvidia users only)
4. Open Broadcaster Software (Free)
5. Action!

I personally use and recommend Dxtory, I see it superior to all other listed ones. Bandicam is the closest rival to Dxtory so far, slightly less features, worse UI and higher price are holding it back. But it's your call to try software out and pick one yourself.

Bibbit

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Karl731

Estimable
May 14, 2014
I prefer Bandicam. It has options for various codecs - lossless and lossy - so you can choose the best compression / quality ratio to suit your needs. i.e. MUCH smaller files than those created with Fraps. You can try the unregistered version for free to see if you like it. The unregistered version of Bandicam can record for up to 10 minutes, unlike the 30 seconds that Fraps gives you, which may be all you need.

RobiePAX

Estimable
May 19, 2014

What are you talking about? Fraps is not a freeware, it costs 37$. As for alternatives to Fraps:

1. Dxtory
2. Bandicam
3. GeForce ShadowPlay (Nvidia users only)
4. Open Broadcaster Software (Free)
5. Action!

I personally use and recommend Dxtory, I see it superior to all other listed ones. Bandicam is the closest rival to Dxtory so far, slightly less features, worse UI and higher price are holding it back. But it's your call to try software out and pick one yourself.

Solution

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

I do appreciate all the replies. I'm trying to play with the nVidia option. Hopefully it will suffice for me.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
https://obsproject.com/ It is incredible. I cannot believe how well it works, no frame drops on my videos, does not use too much CPU. You can use what's stated here https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-convert-flvs-to-mp4-fast-without-re-encoding.78/ to convert the FLV file to MP4. It works way better than Expression Encoder did.

Status
Not open for further replies.