Are there gaming laptops that DON'T burn your lap? ( Doesn't have to be great graphics )

Ramon284

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
Well, just kind of wondering. I've heard about coolingpads, but considering the laptop I wanted to buy was 3.9KG and a cooling pad is easily 1KG I don't think that's such a great solution. I don't have to play games on ultra, or high, or even medium for that matter.

As long as it runs smoothly...
Or are cooling pads really a solution even with laptops which have like 780M's in them?

Solution
Honestly your best performance budget of the two I listed above would be the jm with 860m (performs similar to last years 770m and is in no way a slouch plus the 860m is pure Maxwell), and then pick up a 256gb Samsung evo drive for $150. Total spend around $1500 and you'll end up with a better ssd than the SanDisk m.2 256gb you'd end up with in the j's model, plus save almost $300. The 870m is a step up yes, but will use more power and give off more heat than the 860m, but that said I own the j's with 870m. But both are very very solid, great keyboard, 3-6 hour battery life depending light / medium duty, very cool and quite (not completely but best you'll find for a gaming laptop), offer up to 32gb ram and has 2x 2.5 hhd bays. I love...

huskersforever

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Heat is a waste product. Anytime your processor or graphics card is working, its going to get hot. Laptops are terrible for heat dissipation due to their design. There are cooling pads and what-not, but they add bulk.

If you ever really want to get into great PC gaming, you need to build a desktop.

Ramon284

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014

Never had issues with this. My current laptop is 4 years old and I've barely seen a decrease in performance. it depends on the fan locations I guess and the place where you put it on your lap.

It runs hot sometimes, but not hotter than when being used on other surfaces, like a desk.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Asus g750 jm $1300 with 860m, js $1750 with 870m and 256 ssd. wont burn your lap, the j's will play games ultra. coolest running laptop you can buy due to dual fans one per CPU one per gpu

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Honestly your best performance budget of the two I listed above would be the jm with 860m (performs similar to last years 770m and is in no way a slouch plus the 860m is pure Maxwell), and then pick up a 256gb Samsung evo drive for $150. Total spend around $1500 and you'll end up with a better ssd than the SanDisk m.2 256gb you'd end up with in the j's model, plus save almost $300. The 870m is a step up yes, but will use more power and give off more heat than the 860m, but that said I own the j's with 870m. But both are very very solid, great keyboard, 3-6 hour battery life depending light / medium duty, very cool and quite (not completely but best you'll find for a gaming laptop), offer up to 32gb ram and has 2x 2.5 hhd bays. I love every aspect of mine.

Solution

Ramon284

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
Thanks, I'll look into the Asus. Problem is they are pretty expensive in my country ( luxury taxes ), even with 300 dollars shipping costs maybe importing it would be cheaper...I'll look into it.

Having a gaming laptop that can actually be used like a laptop almost sounds too good to be true...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Asus is sold globally, are you sure its going to be that expensive to get your hands on one?

and yes, I can personally say the Asus can be used on your lap. it is 10lbs and I dont sit it on my lap for several hours. but battery life, heat/cooling, construction, keyboard, and fan noise are the Asus's forte. msn gt70 dominator pro is next in line, more heat and fan noise since they only utilize a single yet larger fan, battery life about 30 min less than Asus, still great keyboard albeit not Asus quality, but for price vs Asus you get the next step up gpu (expo Asus at $1300 = 860m msn at $1400 gives 870m, Asus at $1750 gives 870m msn at $1800 gives 880m. But with that also being said, single fan and next step up graphics card also gives more heat than that of the Asus. So price per laptop, you'll see great difference in thermals and fan noise with msi vs the Asus.