Are these bubbles delamination?

Henderson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
This is a 40" Sony Bravia KDL40W600B that I bought the very end of December 2015. For the last 6 months, maybe longer, these bubbles just appeared and are really distracting when watching TV and just seem to keep getting worse. They aren't so visible on the blackest parts of the screen, and skin tones actually look the worst, they look like everyone has a mottled skin disease. Is this delamination? And is there anything that can be done about it?

There's also what looks like light bleeding along the edges of the screen, almost like this is a protective layer that could be pulled off.

I know it wasn't a $1000 TV, but still I expected it last more than 2.5 years. It's really gotten so annoying watching it that I'm ready to junk it and get a new one, but will this just happen again 2 years from now? The TV hasn't been abused in any way. It's in a bedroom, no kids and no pets to do any damage to it, sun never hits it, it's not near heat vents, no cleaners are ever used on it, just dusted when needed. I can't think of what could have caused it.

Thanks for any info or advice.

https://
IS0TqX3.jpg

Solution
We've got other TVs and haven't seen this happen yet. Not to mention my computer monitors which are on a lot more and last for years and years without any problems. Are certain TVs more prone to this than others? I always thought Sony was a quality brand, but maybe it's time to switch.

I emailed Sony support for the heck of it. I know it's out of warranty and likely they'll do nothing, but I'm just curious what they'll say about it.

If TVs are going to last 2 years, I'd be better off buying the absolutely cheapest crap brand I can find at that rate.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I haven't see a TV delam before. But if you showed me your picture and said "this is what delam looks like" I'd believe you 100%

I don't believe there is going to be a solution for that. Other than replacing the panel. Which may be cheaper than getting a new TV. But not by much. You can get a pretty decent TV even 4k TV for 4-600 bucks. It sucks, but they don't make modern appliances to last anymore.

Henderson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
We've got other TVs and haven't seen this happen yet. Not to mention my computer monitors which are on a lot more and last for years and years without any problems. Are certain TVs more prone to this than others? I always thought Sony was a quality brand, but maybe it's time to switch.

I emailed Sony support for the heck of it. I know it's out of warranty and likely they'll do nothing, but I'm just curious what they'll say about it.

If TVs are going to last 2 years, I'd be better off buying the absolutely cheapest crap brand I can find at that rate.

Solution