Are Transformer Laptops Worth It?

Evzor

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Next year I'm heading off to university and I'm planning on getting a new laptop. I've been looking at some that also function as tablets and I was wondering how good these are, if anyone has any input/recommendations I'd love to hear them! (Also, as a sidenote, I'm planning on playing hearthstone, LoL and potentially doing some steam in home streaming on it, so it'd have to be able to run these)

Thanks!

Solution
Transformer like laptops have weak CPUs and weak integrated graphics compared to what is in a relatively inexpensive laptop. At best you can get a transformer like laptop with a quad core Pentium N3540. It's a little better than a 1st gen Core i3 CPU released in 2009 which is not too bad, but the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core is pretty weak; it is the weakest of all Intel HD graphics core models so you should expect very, very low performance in games; perhaps to the point of the game not being playable.

You should consider something like a Lenovo Yoga or an Asus Transformer Flip notebook which has a core i3 / core i5 CPU and an Intel HD 4400 graphics core. They are heavier but also more powerful.

gamerschmamer

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
It really depends on what you want your laptop for. If you are playing games, then you will want a higher end laptop, which typically don't turn into a tablet. The higher end ones may be bulkier and heavier, thus eliminating the "transformer" idea you are looking at.

As someone who just graduated college, I can say that you won't need a transformer laptop, unless you want to touch the screen a lot. I always used a mouse and preferred that method. To each their own, but the transformer laptops may not have the best specs for gaming, even on low end games.

Transformer like laptops have weak CPUs and weak integrated graphics compared to what is in a relatively inexpensive laptop. At best you can get a transformer like laptop with a quad core Pentium N3540. It's a little better than a 1st gen Core i3 CPU released in 2009 which is not too bad, but the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core is pretty weak; it is the weakest of all Intel HD graphics core models so you should expect very, very low performance in games; perhaps to the point of the game not being playable.

You should consider something like a Lenovo Yoga or an Asus Transformer Flip notebook which has a core i3 / core i5 CPU and an Intel HD 4400 graphics core. They are heavier but also more powerful.

Solution