Are You Addicted to Email and Messaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
No and no.. Funny thing is, I noticed my brothers kids texting all day. And that's all they do. Even during family functions they'll sit there and text away. And when he mentions it to them, they just roll their eyes at him (my brother is a wimp).

I decided to do things differently with my kids. Phones are a great way to stay in contact with them, but when they are home, they don't need them. So I take their phones the moment they walk through the door.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I am on vacation right now, I check my phone once in a while to make sure no ones needs anything, it us just how it is. I've responded to several email everyone knows i'm on vacation but some things need to be dealt with.

Id much prefer to help when its needed then have them stranded on something simple because they can't get ahold of me.

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
i addictively check my email on my phone during vacations. (if my ****** iphone with at&t has reception which it usually doesnt so im safe there...)

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Damn there has to be some way to exploit this like the 12-Step Program. Just tell them they need a higher power and cash in. Save me Jeebus.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
We evolve the need for constant comunication is in our blood. We're not the amish fold we used to be. Its time to change mentality, there is allways going to be resistance to change, someone will allways tell you you are addicted to something. Truth is we are all addicted to what we like. The term addiction has been malformed nowadays to replace everything that we like.

You can say you like cake very much. And if someone wants to do you harm they tell you, you are addicted to CAKE... OMG seriously? Go f#$$ yourself.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
fat boy love cake just like i feel im naked with out my phone or a charger for long periods of time. i can make with out emails but txt and phone i might be not sending them but i am always waiting lol !

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I would say I use to be but since getting a blackberry less so. I don't need to constantly check since I can handle all my email in one central location and even then its mostly junk. My gf doesn't text often either and the few (3) friends I often text I don't feel the need to constantly know about every breath they take. Not even on facebook since its just a pure spamfest and if I actually cared about half the "friends" that would be added I would call or meet up with them. Younger generation maybe since they can't drive but often they see all their friends in school. I'm even at the point I couldn't be annoyed replying since it often distracts from what I'm trying to do ie gaming programming studying. The only thing I'm addicted to/couldn't survive without is internet. Often many discussions I end up looking up extra info online (imdb is legendary lol). Also online discussions are often entertaining lol

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Addiction is a strong word. Sure, I am addicted to the internet, but are you really addicted if you check your email once a day on vacation? Are you addicted to time when you check your watch couple of times a day? Are you a narcissist if you check your hair evey morning before heading to work?

The internet is part of our lives and it's just as normal to check your email daily as to walk to your regular mailbox. Heck, I only check my mailbox 3-4 times a week!

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
What's the point of him, dragging his computer when he's not even connected?
And where's the god damn CRT monitor?!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Heh, just think what happens when those poor Planetarion players go on vacation... I've played that game for a couple of seasons... the game never stops ticking...

That is addiction...

What is not addiction? nsuring you have access to online media and checking e-mail inbetween the fire roasted beans and weenies, and sitting on a boat with a case of beer for an afternoon.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I might have to divorce my wife if she doesn't put down the phone once in a while. I'm married to her, I know she's not that important. No one is going to email her in the middle of the day (weekend, vacation, otherwise) and request something so important that she absolutely must check her email at that moment. She has her phone squeek at her when she gets an email, my email client on my phone hasn't been synched in a week. I would say 99% of people who check their email regularly aren't that important either. And besides, who sends you something over email that absolutely must be handled before you get back to work? If something needs to be handled that day, text me. If something needs to be handled at that moment, call me. Otherwise, you email me, and I MIGHT check it this evening after dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.