Ask before I buy for PC to 7.1 surround

drich84

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
I have a PC with good audio. I use an audio interface, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, as my audio card and run to a couple Yamaha monitors. I would like to connect this PC to an adjacent room with the big TV, and future surround sound system.

My thought is the following

Primary Function
PC motherboard > firewire > Audio Interface > Speakers (works great, no need to change)

Second Function
PC Graphics Card (thinking XFX R9 295X2) > HDMI Cable > Receiver. This splits into the following

Receiver > HDMI Cable > Television
Receiver > Speaker Wire > Speakers

I need 24 bit 96 kHz capability and 7.1 surround. Because of this higher demand, I don't think S/PDIF would work, or even fiber. I'm wondering if I need to buy a sound card? I'm thinking the Asus Xonar Essence ST and the expansion Asus Xonar H6 7.1 Channel Output Upgrade. I think the sound card allows 7.1 which could then be a part of the signal the graphics card sends out.

Could anyone offer comments on this potential setup? Do I need an audio card to pass 7.1 audio through my graphics card?

My rig is the following

Windows 7
mother board: ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
CPU: AMD 8350
RAM: 32GB Crucial memory (I run multiple virtual machines)
Graphics Card: 2 x R9 270X (I will upgrade to R9 295X2 soon)
Plenty of storage in both SSD and HDD
Power Supply: Corsair AX 860

Thanks

Solution
Nope, wont need an additional sound card. Your correct, everything stays digital via the HDMI and then its your surround sound amp that converts that to analogue and out the living room speakers.

Your mobo will have a 7.1 output but i would use the HDMI from the graphics card as the surround sound amp will give you a much better sound from the HDMI compared with the 7.1 output from your mobo. The amp is specifically designed to do this after all !

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
When you buy your future surround sound amp get one with an HDMI in/out on there. Then you should be able to run HDMI out from the graphics card-->7.1 Amp-->TV

The graphics card will send out the 7.1 signal and the receiver will process that for you onto your living room speakers.

This will carry both the picture and the sound to the 7.1 amp and then to the TV so you can switch between normal sound through the TV and the surround sound. Will also be a really simple setup and if I remember correctly you will also get sound out from the pc sound card without having to switch between that and the hdmi. So you just have to switch on whatever speakers you want to listen to.

Your PC has enough grunt + ram to handle a 7.1 source whether its stored your on hard drive or on a dvd/bluray.

drich84

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014

I appreciate the feedback. I'm wondering tho if I need an additional sound card? I looked into my motherboard's specs and see the following:

-7.1 CH HD Audio Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
-Premium Blu-ray audio support
-Supports THX TruStudio

I'm guessing I won't need an additional sound card, since at this stage, everything is going to stay digital?

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Nope, wont need an additional sound card. Your correct, everything stays digital via the HDMI and then its your surround sound amp that converts that to analogue and out the living room speakers.

Your mobo will have a 7.1 output but i would use the HDMI from the graphics card as the surround sound amp will give you a much better sound from the HDMI compared with the 7.1 output from your mobo. The amp is specifically designed to do this after all !

Solution