Ask Me Anything - The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewFreedman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Hey everyone!

We're going to give our guests from the EFF a break to finish their day, get some food, sleep, and all that good stuff. They'll be back in the morning to finish answering your questions before the AMA closes at 12 p.m. EST. In the meantime, feel free to add questions overnight for them to get to in the morning.

Thank you all for your awesome questions, and thanks to the EFF for their time and answers so far!

keepit100

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
As I'm sure you know, the EFF is asking the Supreme Court to hear arguments about whether police should be allowed to collect certain kinds of DNA without a warrant.

"As human beings, we shed hundreds of thousands of skin and hair cells daily, with each cell containing information about who we are, where we come from, and who we will be," EFF Senior Staff Attorney Jennifer Lynch said. (source: https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-supreme-court-fourth-amendment-covers-dna-collection)

I'm all for not being in a database of DNA at my local police department, but I also don't worry about them collecting my toenail clippings. Should I? At what point is preventing DNA checks keeping police from doing their job?

This Raynor case seems quite specific, and I agree that lack of consent is lack of consent. But how do we expect the police to do their job, say, looking at crime scenes for hair and fingerprints if this goes through?

natecardozo

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Hi Larry (can I call you Larry?),

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court just decided not to take the Raynor case, so we're not going to get their opinion.

But this isn't about keeping the police from doing their job. It's about making sure that the police follows the law while they do their jobs. I'll give you an example: in a case decided in 2001, the Supreme Court decided that law enforcement can't use forward looking infrared to peer through walls, unless law enforcement gets a warrant first. More recently, a federal appeals court noted that the warrantless use of handheld radar to look into a house was likely in violation of the Fourth Amendment. No one is saying that law enforcement can't use these technologies--only that they follow the Constitution (which here means getting a warrant) when they do.

As I said, our position in Raynor wasn't about keeping the police from doing their jobs. It's about exactly the opposite--making sure the police do their jobs, and get a warrant, before searching us unreasonably or seizing our property.

RaNdOmReDnEcK

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
no way look thru walls?? handheld radar to look into houses??? i guess DRONES are not out of the question then. I guess the other half of the question would be how do you protect yourself from such technology??? Aluminum foil???

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
We all know that every bit of electronic communication is being recorded by someone, somewhere, so what would be wrong with feeding them garbage say once a day?. just throw in the occasional trigger word during every ph call and txt and let the misinformation pile up.

AndrewFreedman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014

Just for the record, the EFF didn't delete or ban anything. You broke community policies on the Tom's Community. The EFF requested we restore your question.

keepit100

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015

Not my name, but sure, call me Larry! (Glad you got the reference!)

That radar and infrared thing sounds spooky, so you have me convinced. My question was aimed more at a crime scene, though I suppose I don't want the police rubbing my doorknob for prints without asking!

Thanks!

skipper_2

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
I'll be frank... you guys come off as really, really liberal (perhaps the EFF considers itself libertarian?). I doubt you guys have an official affiliation, but that's how you come across.

Does that make it difficult to work with young Republicans, who are often some of the most knowledgeable about new technologies? How do you work with everyone on an advocate, activist, and legal level when you appear to be so established on one side of the aisle?

JGillula

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Strategies like this have been attempted, and while they might work for automated tracking (e.g. targeted advertising profiles), they certainly wouldn't work against surveillance by a human (e.g. if law enforcement wanted to learn something about you specifically from your online communications). It's also tough to make this work even against automated tracking, because you're trying to mask something potentially unique (your actual communications) with something that's supposed to be generic (the garbage). It's tricky (when it's even possible) to find the balance.

trilldriselba

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
If I want to use tools like Tor or HTTPS Everywhere, I have to go download them from my current browser. Will going to those sites and downloading/installing those tools increase my risk for being spied on? How about those on my network (especially if they don't use the tools)?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
What are your thoughts on the lack of technological education in many countries, particularly America? Do you think that if America was more technologically and cyber-security educated like Britain and had computer science as a required curriculum course, people would be more knowledgeable in seeing their own vulnerabilities and less susceptible to attacks, viruses, and phishing on their local devices, as well as troubleshooting how to fix these problems?

jcbeff

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

I was educated in the both the UK and US systems (Bachelors and Masters degrees in the US and PhD in the UK). I don't think the UK has achieved a dramatically higher rate of education of computer science or tech. There's lots of room for improvement in both countries and around the world! Unfortunately school curriculums change very slowly, particularly at the lower levels of education, but we're starting to see some schools integrate computer science teaching at an earlier age.

In any case though as a technologist, I think it's important to focus on fixing tech and not fixing people. Cars have gotten much safer to drive without teaching everybody how antilock brakes work. Most of the problems you mentioned (viruses, phishing) can be improved technologically. Indeed there really has been dramatic progress on phishing in the past 5 years with automatic phishing blacklists, it hasn't been widely heralded but the problem has slowly declined in significance. And both Android and iOS have been, on the whole, less susceptible to viruses than Windows (newer versions of Windows have improved as well).

So I think universal computer science education is critically important-computers are too important in the world and it's valuable that everybody understands them on a basic level. But specifically for security problems, I think it's not particularly helpful to blame ignorant users when we have a long ways to go improving the technology.

trilldriselba

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
Is cyberwar an upcoming issue? Russia? China? Iran? North Korea? Is our data going to be the casualties in the next war games?

natecardozo

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

In a crime scene context, assuming the police are legally there in the first place, I don't think anyone would argue that they couldn't collect shed DNA. In any case, back to your original question: should you worry about your DNA getting into a police database? I'd argue that unless you've been convicted of a crime (or according to some courts, simply arrested for certain types of crimes), it would likely be illegal for the police to collect and store your DNA data.

bloodelf

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
A lot of this has been individual oriented? How can IT professionals go above and beyond in protecting their networks and those of their organizations?

AndrewEFF

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

You're right we are non-partisan. We support your rights in the digital world, which includes civil liberties, standing up for fair use, and so on. These issues appeal to different people of different political affiliations, and we've worked with Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party members and many others on cases, legislation, and advocacy, not to mention less formal projects. No single political group agrees with us on everything, but that's the way it should be. For example, last year we put up a post about why surveillance is a Tea Party issue, and that was somewhat controversial with liberal folks. I just don't think perceptions about our political leanings stand in the way of our work -- we build coalitions and advocate for controversial causes every day.

-------------------------------------

Will someone from the EFF please respond my followup question to this response from Andrew before the AMA closes in 20 minutes? Thanks for extending the AMA for an extra 30 minutes.

-Long time EFF supporter

---Updated 5 minutes before AMA closes-----

EFF,

Shame on you.

-Long time EFF supporter

AndrewFreedman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Hi everyone!

This AMA is now closed.

Thanks to everyone who asked questions, and a huge thanks to Nate, Parker, Nadia, Andrew, Jeremy and Joseph for taking time out of their busy schedules at the EFF to answer questions for the Tom's Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.