Aspire One Happy "no audio devices installed" NOT A DRIVER ISSUE !

frustratedaceruser

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
Hi all, I purchased an Aspire One Happy from ebay (100% established seller etc) and it arrived with the dreaded "no audio devices installed" cross over the system tray volume. Most forums suggest driver problems, I have installed about all there is to install from Realtek - and Acer support have had me do a full factory reset to no avail. Am I forever doomed to using a USB sound card ? (Note : I don't have the money for inflated repair shop prices).... I had an old aspire with a WiFi card issue similar and installing a little known driver took care of it. I'm perfectly ok with editing the registry etc...Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the post length !!
Thanks in advance :)

Why do so many people with a driver problem never look in Device Manager before posting (or at least never mention having done so)?

Look in Device Manager under "Sound, video & game controllers" to see if the Realtek sound device is listed.

If it's not listed at at all (most likely it won't be), and there are no "unknown" devices (? symbol) anywhere in DM, that usually means the sound device is faulty and is no longer detectable, which would account for the message "no audio devices installed".

It would also account for the sound issue not being fixed by a Factory Recovery.

frustratedaceruser

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
Well Phillip, I'd like to think that "so many people" don't do it because it goes without saying.... But to make you happy, here I am mentioning I HAVE indeed done that (of course). There is a code 10 error "The device cannot start" under the Realtek HD Audio Controller.

frustratedaceruser

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
The device is indeed in the list however when uninstalled via Safe Mode this failed to reinstall. It seems to be an Acer problem, with the ZG5 as I mentioned everyone seemed to have a problem with the wireless card, now this with the Happy. This will probably be the last Acer as it is a nightmare :(

"Well Phillip, I'd like to think that "so many people" don't do it because it goes without saying"

We can't take anything for granted if we are to give fully informed advice, so your sarcasm was out of place mate.
If that's going to be a regular feature in your posts it won't engender much willingness to help you. Not bad going for someone who only joined the forums a few hours ago.

Looks like you'll have to resort to a plug-in USB WiFi adapter then?

frustratedaceruser

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
To be honest, my sarcasm was only in response to yours ? And it is a SOUND card, not a wi-fi adapter .... Reading the question helps. The local shop state that if this is indeed the case I naturally need either a new mobo or a USB audio device, just in case anyone has the same problem. Please read the posts properly in future, others.