Shane Kim

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
I want to use my Astro Mixamp with my HyperX Cloud 2's (If I can't please say so)

I was wondering whether or not I can get 7.1 dolby digital surround sound by connecting the Astro Mixamp to my motherboard by USB and still achieve 7.1 surround sound (dolby digital)

Or will I achieve better sound quality by buying a sound card and hooking the astro mixamp up by optical connection. If so please link a good sound card for me.

Thanks

Solution
its going to be virtual 7.1 as always, but yes it should support this on both pc and console via the usb connection. it should work with any stereo headset though from looking at the rear of the mixamp you might need an rca cable to headphone adapter if it did not come with one.

adding a soundcard, when the mixamp is going to be doing the processing anyways is wasting money, just use usb. if you bought a soundcard, it would likely come with dolby headphone anyways which is going to do the same thing as the mixamp so you would end up using the soundcard and not the mixamp.
its going to be virtual 7.1 as always, but yes it should support this on both pc and console via the usb connection. it should work with any stereo headset though from looking at the rear of the mixamp you might need an rca cable to headphone adapter if it did not come with one.

adding a soundcard, when the mixamp is going to be doing the processing anyways is wasting money, just use usb. if you bought a soundcard, it would likely come with dolby headphone anyways which is going to do the same thing as the mixamp so you would end up using the soundcard and not the mixamp.

Solution