ASUS A42JR black screen, power LED is on, caplock LED on

charleson1

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
i encounter the same problem. when i turned on my ASUS A42JR, power LED is on, caplock LED on. the CD drive run when starting up and able to eject. the computer heat up as usual but the fan is not running. Before having black screen, I encounter some problem like vertical lines on screen and popup at task bar mentioning warning graphic card crash and solved/ recovered. Then the next time I open my computer, it couldn’t turn on anymore. I tried hooking up to external display, removing HDD, removing memory card, booting with external power only, booting with batt and booting with external power and batt but still couldn’t work. Kindly advise me how can I solve it and what is the problem. Thanks

It may be that the backlight power inverter has died, try shining a flashlight at the screen, if you are able to see a faint image on the screen then the most likely issue is the power inverter (which can be replaced). If no image can be seen, a possibility would be that your graphics cable (going from motherboard to display) is bad but it may also be that the HD5470 has failed. You can try an external monitor (HDMI TV comes to mind) to see if any display there also which would isolate the problem some.