Status
Not open for further replies.

alantlchan

Distinguished
May 15, 2008

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
One problem I have with the review is the Windows-centric approach to a machine that is built for Linux. My "favourite applications" all run on Linux but not necessarily on Windows.

Secondly, what's with the outdated fear-mongering about driver availability in Linux? Generally there are fewer driver problems with Linux than with Windows these days, for the simple reason that hardware manufacturers don't want to lose that share of their business.

With Windows you still get asked to provide driver disks and have to decide whether you want the latest Windows version or the manufacturers version. Not a problem with Linux.

Nor do you have to worry about a driver not being available for your version of Windows. With Linux the drivers are kept up to date and frequently back-ported to earlier versions of the kernel. Poor Windows users have to agonize over which version of Windows has the drivers for their hardware. And they to pay for their decisions.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
alantlchan seems to have it right. There are two versions and both start with a 4G flash disk. I've also read another review that states you can get the smaller storage version with Linux for a reduced price. I haven't seen it advertised for sale anywhere however. Of course, it's still hard to find the new models advertised anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.