Solved! Asus FX570U Charging LED (charging LED) keeps blinking white 4 times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2021
Good Day Everybody

Recently I have upgraded RAM (from 8GB to 16GB) and inserted a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD in an Asus FX570U. The unit works but the charging LED keeps blinking 4 times. I have done the following troubleshooting steps:

• Tested a different 120W AC adapter.
  • Removed the SSD and RAM I inserted.
  • Removed the battery and did the 30 seconds battery drain step by holding down the power button.
  • Downgraded the BIOS to different version (306, 307, 309) and to the latest version 311.
  • Reseated all connections I disconnected when upgrading the unit in case they were not inserted correctly.
  • Reinstalled windows and even tested a Linux OS on a bootable flash.
  • The Battery LED still keeps flashing white with 4 blinks and a pause in between.

The weird thing is the unit turns on and performs perfectly fine, the machine charges when plugged in but no matter what I do I am not able to stop the LED from flashing. When the unit is off the LED will shine orange (with charger plugged in) to indicate that its charging but the moment I press the power button the flashing starts, even when in the BIOS.

Laptop Specs:
-15.6" FHD Display
-i7-8550u
-8GB DDR4 SODIMM (upgraded to 16GB)
-1TB HDD (upgraded to 1TB NVMe)
-GTX 1050 4GB

Please help if anyone has encountered this problem before. I am not sure if it is ok if I just ignore the LED and keep using it or if it is pointing to an issue I cannot locate.

Solution
When searching for drivers, go to the manufacturer's website. It's the safest option, when it's available.

Strange, I don't see any reference to a white blinking battery indicator. This is all I found from ASUS: [Notebook] Status indicators - Introduction | Official Support | ASUS

Since it's the battery indicator, I'd assume it's something related to the battery. Check your BIOS and see if it says anything about your battery's health or the charger. Maybe even the Windows battery icon would mention something.
Most laptops use blink codes (usually the power LED) to indicate problems. Asus also uses the power LED to indicate problems. Can you be more specific about the flash rate and the interval between the groups of 4? Does this continue as long as the unit it powered on? Also in sleep mode (assuming you use that mode).

I imagine ASUS has a hardware diagnostic for this machine. I recommend you download that and see what it says.

Sep 26, 2021
Good Day

I do apologize for taking so long to respond.

The Power LED of the unit functions normally. When the unit is on the Power LED stays solid white with no flashing. Regarding the flashing rate of the Battery LED, there is 4 flashes, each probably 0.4sec long with a short break in between then about a 1.5sec delay till it starts again.

I installed the MyAsus application but I am not able to see all the features it would normally give like the diagnostic options, only able to see registered product and version of the application. By running a driver check I am told that I need System Controller v2. I checked online for it but I only get software that wants you to pay in order to have the driver installed.

I tested using other tools, such as MemTest64 and AIDA64, but not getting any issues on those tests.

mrmike16

Honorable
When searching for drivers, go to the manufacturer's website. It's the safest option, when it's available.

Strange, I don't see any reference to a white blinking battery indicator. This is all I found from ASUS: [Notebook] Status indicators - Introduction | Official Support | ASUS

Since it's the battery indicator, I'd assume it's something related to the battery. Check your BIOS and see if it says anything about your battery's health or the charger. Maybe even the Windows battery icon would mention something.

Solution
Sep 26, 2021
It is very strange. Checking online it seems that this indication does not exist on the unit but I am getting it. I do assume its something to do with the battery as the unit is a couple of years old and the battery has never been changed, however even with the battery removed from the unit it is given the same indications. In the BIOS the battery seems fine with no errors and the battery icon functions as it should by giving percentage and time remaining.

I am trying to look for a solution but I am coming up short. I really appreciate the advise the steps I should take but I will leave the machine as is and hope that it is not a major issue but more a problem with the battery LED (cross my fingers).

mrmike16

Honorable
I wouldn't think it's anything serious, as your computer is running normally with nothing coming up from the diagnostics or the battery meter. Sorry that I couldn't help further. You can also try asking ASUS themselves, although customer support is usually quite useless these days. They'll probably tell you to replace your battery or that it's because of something totally unrelated like Microsoft Office (That last bit was a joke).

Don't ever use a "helpful" driver install site. Only use the vendors support site, Windows update and the Intel Driver Assistant (don't remember the exact name). Did you search for Asus Diagnostics (google that and only download from the Asus site). I know they have diagnostics but I can't vouch for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.