Asus G501J won't turn on, no LEDs

iscrooble

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Sometimes, my laptop randomly shuts off despite having full power/being plugged in. I would usually assume it overheated, yet I would have no trouble rebooting it. But today, it refuses to turn on even after waiting several hours. The weird thing is the LED indicators also don't light up, even when plugging in the charger.

So far I've tried to fiddle with the charger pin and charging jack, did the remove battery and hold power button trick that I see everywhere, and reseated the RAM. None have affected the laptop in any shape or manner. I believe the charger is working since I can hear a faint, high pitched sound coming from the computer whenever I plug it in, although I'm no hardware expert and don't really know whether that actually confirms it.

All I can confirm is that the battery is definitely at least half full and the laptop is about 8 months old. I was running quite a few things right before It shut off, so maybe the system became overwhelmed? Anyways, I haven't found any solution short of sending it back to repair service, which I'd like to avoid since I don't have the patience to wait.

Hi,

Here are some other troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.

iscrooble

Commendable
May 17, 2016

So... how do I proceed should the motherboard need fixing?