Asus G50v doesn't boot

andr1us

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Hi, few days ago I was upgrading vista to windows 7, but during installation laptop switched off and never turned on again. Well, the thing is when I turn on laptop I can hear cd-rom and fan starting. Touch sensitive buttons and light around touchpad stays on. But besides that nothing else is happening. Windows 7 upgrade disk came from asus. Thanks for any input

Have you tried restarting without the Windows 7 DVD in?

It's starting to look like a hardware failure.
You were pressing the F2 and F8 buttons continuously after power on, right?
Can you feel the HDD start to spin up at power on?

You can try a bootable CD rescue disk. AVG Rescue disk is one option.
Besides the included AV scanner it has some utility programs for system recovery and looking at files on your HDD.

Further to this, did you try tapping F2 and/or Delete at startup to go into BIOS? In case there's a hardware loop somewhere, take out the power cable and remove the battery for a minute or so then try again.

andr1us

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
well, none of the suggested keys work. Besides fan and cd-rom cant hear anything else. Can faulty hdd prevent even bios flash screen? Because I don't get any response video or audio wise.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
yes, your operating system is loaded on the hard drive and you computer will not boot from anything but the disk if the hard drive has failed. The avg rescue disk is a good suggestion, though you might also try connecting the cmputer to another monitor if you can. If it works than you know it is not the hard drive and it is probably a hardware issue with the laptop screen. If it still does not boot it is something internal in your laptop, be it mobo, ram, or hard drive.

If your HDD has failed your computer wont finish the POST (power on self test).
Part of the POST is looking for available BOOT devices.
Trying an alternative boot device (such as floppy drive, CD, USB flash drive or different HDD) is a normal trouble shooting step when you're trying to pin down hardware failures.

andr1us

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Well, finally managed to get my laptop checked at repair centre. I was told GPU is dead and fixing it would be around 300 euro. Had a look at ebay for gpu and it goes for around 290 euro. Could I fit another GPU into it or its just not worth to fix it anymore? Considering I paid 900-1000 euro 2 years ago for it. Sorry for reviving an old thread :)

It doesn't actually specify the G50v - the important little "v" bit is missing so I'd be a bit cautious. Are yo up to removing the present daughter board and compare it with the photograph or check at Asus' own website.

andr1us

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
i've been told its dead and it needs to be replaced. Now I checked guide to take this laptop apart and it doesn't seem to be very hard. I wonder is it very good idea to buy used gpu for laptop? wont it just overheat again?