Asus g51j-a1 usb suddent shut off win7(x64)

joemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
i have a asus g51j-a1 with windows se7en (64 bit) all stock and im getting problems with everytime i connect everything usb in any one of the usb ports or unplug from ports my laptop shuts off.

everthing is updated all drivers and bios with no virus on computer
and called customer service and all they had me do was hard reset the laptop but did not fix the problem.

any help please???

rclement

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Hi there,

Have the same model and O/S (bought a little over 2 years ago). About a year ago, I got a Logitech Lapdesk cooler/speaker unit and noticed that I could only plug it in one of the two USB ports on the left side if I wanted sound to work (fan would work in the other one, but not the sound). On the right side, I have a Logitech micro-USB mouse adapter in one, and I routinely use the other one to transfer files to my mp3 player and/or charge it or its wireless headphones. About 6 months ago, laptop started shutting down when I would plug something in that USB port (not every single time, but often), whether there was something attached to the other end of the cable or not. It often takes some work to be able to power up the laptop again (I find that taking out the battery and holding the power button a while seems to do it).

I'm not quite sure what causes the issue. I e-mailed Asus support to ask if they had any idea (I'm thinking surge, maybe a motherboard issue?). The only reply I got was to (a) reset my BIOS to default and (b) restore the system through the recovery partition.

I haven't tried restoring the system since I'm not quite sure I see how this would help (and quite honestly, it's a real pain to do).

If I come across anything, I'll post back here and please let me know if you find out anything helpful as well.

Roxanne.