Asus G53SW Monitor Troubleshooting?

ryguy92250

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello everyone! My name is Ryan.

I recently purchased an Asus G53SW Republic of Gamers laptop off of eBay as an early Christmas gift to myself :). However, HW monitor was showing the CPU running anywhere from 90-100 degrees celsius! Needless to say, something was wrong. I disassembled the laptop and applied fresh, quality thermal paste to both the CPU and GPU, as well as cleaned out the air vents, and now the GPU fan is hardly audible at idle, and the CPU fan is at a low on idle. Put the laptop back together, booted, and presto! Booted up, left on for 10 minutes, fans great, everything was working...

...except the display. No video out to the panel, so just a blank screen. So I disassembled it again until I got down to the monitor cable, and tried to start it up. Without messing with the monitor cable connection to the motherboard, I got display! Computer booted into bios. So I figured maybe it had gotten loose, so I pushed it down to make sure it was tight and turned it on again, still display. So I breathed a sigh of relief and started putting it back together. I decided to keep testing for output every step of reassembly just to make sure I would get display at the end.

I only got to the laptop screen hinges being screwed down in before I had the same blank display issue.

My question is, do you think the LVDS? cable is loose inside the LCD panel itself? With disassembling the laptop and moving the cables around, it might be the cause. I have triple checked the cable to the motherboard and made sure the sticky tape was still down on it, so I don't know if the cable messed up, or if it became loose in the LCD panel itself, or?

Just wanted to hear anyone's thoughts if they have disassembled laptops before and ran into similar issues. If it is likely to be a loose cable in the panel display, I'll research and unscrew it and check it. Just wanted to double check.

Cheers!

Solution
Hey Ryan!

If it's an intermittent thing then it is very likely a connection issue with the video cable. It most often comes loose at the panel, so you may need to tear down the screen bezel/assembly and remove the screen. It's possible the cable or connector is damaged also, as you alluded to in your OP. The cable is easy to replace, but not as much the connector on the board.

Check the cable connection at the monitor, and good luck! Let us know how you fare.
Hey Ryan!

If it's an intermittent thing then it is very likely a connection issue with the video cable. It most often comes loose at the panel, so you may need to tear down the screen bezel/assembly and remove the screen. It's possible the cable or connector is damaged also, as you alluded to in your OP. The cable is easy to replace, but not as much the connector on the board.

Check the cable connection at the monitor, and good luck! Let us know how you fare.

Solution