Asus G551JW Video Ram Question

sdliddo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I went and downloaded CPUID to check out the specs of my newly bought laptop. An Asus G551JW-CN081H.

Where my problem comes from is that when I check the video memory. It shows my Intel HD4600 to have 4gb DDR5 Ram. When i switch it over to the dedicated video card Nvidia GTX 960M , it only shows 1024MB RAM.

Capture1.png

I said WTF.

I double checked a lot of stuff to verify it. Windows is showing the same issues. DxDiag shows me this.

Capture.png

Capture.png

Wow.
Even more confused.
When i check it via NVidia's software.. it shows me this...

Capture2.png

Capture3.png

Is it really 4gb? or is it really 2gb as what I have been reading in the internet. I've check the Asus webpage and it shows me this:

http://

Gives an option of 2gb or 4gb. If i am to trust the reports by the Nvidia software... says 4gb. Then again.. there is that issue with NVidia reporting different ram size. I forget the article but i recall reading it here.

I guess I just want to make sure before I go back to the place I bought this from to demand a refund or something.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I wouldn't worry about CPU-z?
I can see you have 4GB of dedicated ram showing in direct X. The full 4 GB would be used for 4k display highest resolution.
The resolution your using is dependent on how the system and software uses it and that will be displayed in the information to you in the readouts.
The way I understand it is that you'll only be using below 3GB or 2GB of your dedicate ram.
The readings your looking at show that Dir X shows you have 1792 mb approx of mem to be used for game display Under 2GB
The next shows 12122mb of your system ram that will be used for rendering. Directx designed to allow a game to use both system RAM and graphics RAM to store textures to vastly improve the resolution of textures displayed in-game.
DirectX looks correct to me but I'm no gamer the 1GB, 2GB and 4GB graphics cards can be a bit deceiving I know Gamers who would rather have a Graphics card with less memory and faster clock speeds, bus width and bandwidth. Yours sound good though I'm sure a gamer would correct me if I'm wrong.

sdliddo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the help. I was kind surprised by it all. integrated and dedicated vid cards are kinda new to me though i do wonder why only the nvidia software is showing the 4gb info. DxDiag isn't showing any 4gb on the gtx 960. Nor is cpuid

MrJak

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I'd probably try and reinstall drivers to be safe, but, as long as performmance is what it's supposed to be, and you did purchase the 4GB version, it seems that it's all there.

Do notice that intel HD 4600 shows 1,792 MB Approx. Total Memory, while the 960m shows 12,122 MB,
clearly, the 960m is getting more memory allocated to it when it's in use.

This all probably mewans that CPU-Z is detecting the amount of memory being used by the integrated GPU at the time, instead, since the driver automatically switches GPUs based on the processing load.
Download GPU-Z to confirm, as it should be able to check both, and give more details.

sdliddo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Looks like you were right about the gpu-z. it did properly see the gtx960M. That's a load off my shoulders.

MrJak

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Glad I could help. :)