Asus g55vw laptop will work only on battery. It will not charge the battery and will not power up with power adapter

danrol6

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Hello!

I am currently having a problem with my computer where if the battery is charged, the computer will boot up normally but if you connect the power supply, it will not charge the battery. The orange LED light signaling that the battery is charging comes on, but it does not charge. If I remove the battery and plug the power supply directly to the computer will not turn on.

I have tried replacing the power cord and the battery and I still have the same issue. I have also try removing the battery, the power supply, and pressing the power button on the laptop for about 20 secs, then putting the battery back and the power supply but that did not help. I took the laptop apart and tested the DC jack and the power seems to be fine at around 18-19V (sorry I am not too experienced using voltmeters)

I read at different places where people seemed to be having similar issues and it seems that the problem might be the charging circuit in the motherboard (or a part or it). This is only from what I have read. I do not know what else to do.

If there is soldering to be done on the motherboard, my friend is really good at it, but I would need to know what part would need to be replace before I even take it to him.

What do you guys suggest I do? Should I get another mother board? or another laptop? Is it easy to find what is not working? I appreciate any help or suggestions to get this fix as soon as possible as I need the laptop for school.

If you need any farther information from the PC please let me know, I will try my best to answer any questions you have.

Solution
Depending on how old your laptop is, it may still be under warranty. If it is, then you would be best service contacting the manufacturer about the problem. Doing any work like this on your own, or having someone do it for you, would void that warranty.

However, if it is well out of warranty, then you are good to do it/or have someone do it for you. Here is a video (first of two, there is link there to the second) that shows how to deal with the charging circuit. It isn't for your exact device, but it will give you a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWowCgOFOw

Depending on how old your laptop is, it may still be under warranty. If it is, then you would be best service contacting the manufacturer about the problem. Doing any work like this on your own, or having someone do it for you, would void that warranty.

However, if it is well out of warranty, then you are good to do it/or have someone do it for you. Here is a video (first of two, there is link there to the second) that shows how to deal with the charging circuit. It isn't for your exact device, but it will give you a better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWowCgOFOw

Solution