Asus g72gx framerate drops

Darkblade00

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Hey guys, first time here, hope you guys could help with a problem since Asus Tech support hasnt gotten back to me in a few days(and probably won't since it's the weekend).

Ok so I got an Asus g72gx (gaming laptop from Best Buy(birthday present/no place for a desktop)) and I've had it for about a year and a half now. Specs(abbreviated version):

◦Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P8700
Features 2 processing cores, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.53GHz processor speed per core.
◦6GB DDR2 memory
◦17.3" LED-backlit LCD high-definition plus widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution.
◦500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
◦NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M graphics Features 1GB GDDR3.
◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Now, I know it's not the GREATEST laptop/gaming rig ever and it's old technology, but granted, it's decent.
Problem: For several months now, whenever I play any demanding games, it runs like *** even on low graphics. The framerate drops to i'd say about 5fps and it stays there. I restart the game, nope. I'm forced to restart the whole ******* laptop to fix it. Lower end games(bastion, spacechem, beat hazard, F.E.A.R.) run fine and I never have this issue. However, as soon as I touch a game like Darksiders, The Witcher, Fable 3, Dragon Age, ***...even Magicka...within somewhere between 5-30 minutes, the frames drop and the game is unplayable. Everything else runs fine it's not like the whole laptop just cripples, just the game even if I minimize it. I checked the resource monitor and nothing is really doing too much work and the cpu temp is between 45-55 C.

Any ideas what the issue could be/how to fix it? Id appreciate some help guys!

tl;dr: fps drops to about 5fps no more than half an hour into games, what do?

Solution

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Did you try updating to latest graphics card drivers? If that didn't work, did you try reinstalling the OS (I ALWAYS reinstall after purchase; preinstalled OSs are often plagued with issues)? Not saying that the OS reinstall is the first thing to try, just wondering what you tried so far.

EDIT: BTW, always loved the way G72Gx looks =)

Bamvolle

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I had the same problem as you for a long time until I finally realized what the problem was, which is quite simple...
The Graphics Card temperature.

The CPU is usually fine, but if your fan gets too clogged up with dust or lint etc, it can't cool it fast enough. A simple fix (which I've realized should be done at least once a month anyway) is to clean the fan in the GFX card. Just screw off the back on the laptop and you'll see a big fan, just blow it off with some compressed air and use q-tips to clean the fans blades.

That's all I did and it made wonders! It has worked without issues since then (with regular maintenance once a month or so).

Hope that helps you and any other owners out there :)

Solution

Jamsolid

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Dude!!! Thanks! Haha, I just bought one of these used. I was looking around for utilities and thinking maybe it was driver issues. Never once did I even question why the fan was blaring even at the point of startup! I suppose I would have opened it eventually, but this saved me hours. I pulled a "strip" of dust off the fan exhaust that looked like a strip of velcro!

Odhj

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
SAME HERE!! CLEAN THE FAN AND THE BLACK PIECE ITS CONNECTED TO! Frame rate would slow to a standstill in about 3 mins of gaming. Cleaned the fan and the piece it's connected to. It was 3/4 clogged. That was a lot of dust though. Cleaned it and NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!!! AMAZING!! I actually bought another computer and took it back after this fix....