Asus G73JH - A1 Finally got my new laptop!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Finally got my new Asus Laptop~~~! Wewt

Specs:

Win 7 Premium

17.3" 1080P Display

Quad core I7 Q720 @ 1.6Ghz (With turbo and hyperthreading) CPU stepping is B1

8GB RAM

EDIT: The Ram is made from HYNIX runs at 533Mhz (DDR3 1066) CAS of 7-7-7-20 and manufacture date of Week 5 2010.

ECC is apparently supported (according to everest)

Also there are 4 memory slots, 1 3 and 4 are on the bottom of the laptop and apparently the 2nd one is below the keyboard. They are currently 2GB Memory modules and are dual channel.

Radeon HD 5870 1GB

2 X 500GB Hard drives (Seagate momentus 7200.4 RPM)

Blue Tooth

Atheros AR9285 Wireless 802.11N

Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

HDMI Out

Built in Webcam

VGA Out

Blu Ray drive 4X

4X USB 2.0 ports

Came with a ROG Laser mouse and a backpack.

Darn laptop didn't come with ANY blu ray playback software, but it did come with blu ray burning software - strange. I downloaded Power DVD Ultra 10 for good measure.

I would like to ask anyone if any kind of bechmarks you would like me to do and I will do them.! (hopefully they are free for whatever programs you would like me to bench with)

Right now the laptop seems pretty good - no real problems so far. One strange thing happened though, I put my computer to hibernate last night and this morning when I went to turn it on - the screen was flickering/wavy. Not sure what that was about but it has gone away.

Laptop had a lot of bloatware - so I got rid of that.

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
1. Will the laptop overheat with the current "ASUS Thermal Compound" or do i need to upgrade to the "IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU", and even if i upgrade will it get cool enough? and if not will I have to get a colling pad? or should I keep the "ASUS Thermal Compound" and buy a cooling pad? (I would prefer the cooling compound than to buying a cooling pad which is a last resort but I want what is best for the laptop)
The stock Asus thermal compound should be plenty good, it has to be fairly nice for a computer like this. If you're concerned about overheating, buy a cooler, it's a much better investment because thermal paste gets used up over time but coolers are a long-term investment.
2. Is it worth it to upgrade to a "Built-in Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 Wireless Card" instead of the standard "Built-in 802.11a/g/n WiFi Card"? and if so what advantages are there in the upgrade, is there a better connection, does it optimize the fastest speeds?
No reason, as far as I know there's no difference.
3. Is the keyboard comfortable to use constantly? I heard that it has a weird spongy feel to it?
Chainzsaw answered better than I can.
4. The laptop has no USB 3.0 ports only 2.0's, are there converters on the market? and what can I buy to replace the absence of a eSATA and firewire ports?
USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, no need to worry. But I don't think there's much you can do about not having an eSATA or firewire.
4. And finally, how long will the laptop last? and does Asus make quality laptops? Asus makes high quality gaming laptops in the ROG series, of which this is a part. This is one of their best laptops. It should last you for years.

gunnycc

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I have my g73jh and the touch pad is a little weird if your palm is a little close but NOT touching the pad the screen can zoom in or zoom out. AND yes I have tried adjustments, I just ended up turning that function off.
I use my laptop for busines really. Real Estate......
Since I use graphics programs for flyers and my outlook is huge my last HP ran hot and ended up with a hard drive crash. So, I purchased this one in NOV2011.

Why a gamers laptop???....The way the laptop is built and the cooling is what I love. A bit heavy, but I can put up with the weight. The guy at Best Buy wanted to sell me one of those small light weight thin plastic ones. Sure, that's it. A small screen so my clients can't see house pix, and flimsy so that when I use it in a car, plane, or for when client's kids run by it, it will hold up! NOT!!!

The other thing is that I am using it up to 20 hours a day!!! It looks like and acts like a beast. Love it!

I have bad news though, this past Saturday night working on some files the laptop just turned off!!!

I mean dead as a door nail!!!

Call to support and online searches all said the same thing, return for servicing.

This is my first experience with a laptop showing no lights, functions, NADA, nothing, zilch, zero!!!
Further research online showed that this has happened to others.

I am eagerly waiting for my laptop to return (this is probably a fluke) and when it does I am installing the intel X25 80 gig ssd for the operating system.
In the meantime, wait, wait, wait. My backup laptop is soooo slow.