Asus g74 charging port melting

Yoloking1324

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
I have an asus g74sx, the laptop has been working fine until one day i found the charging port smoking and i ended up taking out and it somewhat melted the plastic surround the port, i thought it was the charger so i ended up going to microcenter and buying a aftermarket one,and it worked fine for a week and it happened again, so i thought it was the outlet and used an old one laying around and it happened again, so i decided to buy an official asus charger and new surge protector and it started to overheating by the charging port, I am not sure what is happening can someone tell me what it could be that is causing to over heat by the charging port and melting ?

Solution
There is likely a short in the charging port where the power supply plugs into the laptop. This is why the port is melting and not the power brick. This can probably be repaired by a PC repair facility without too much effort or check for an Ifixit guide to disassembling the PC. It will likely require you to desolder the existing port and solder in a new port. If you opt to try to replace it on your own.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
There is likely a short in the charging port where the power supply plugs into the laptop. This is why the port is melting and not the power brick. This can probably be repaired by a PC repair facility without too much effort or check for an Ifixit guide to disassembling the PC. It will likely require you to desolder the existing port and solder in a new port. If you opt to try to replace it on your own.

Solution