Asus G751JY VS Sager NP9772-S Which one to buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemarsghast

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
I am deciding between these two laptops above. I need help deciding between performance with a dull design (Sager) or coolness with less performance (Asus). Here are the specs from my configuration at Xotic PC and the pros and cons:

ASUS G751JY:
I7-4710HQ
256GB SSD +1TB HHD
Nvidia GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5
32GB 1600MHZ RAM
XOTIC PC AFTERBURNER FX
$2701
Pros: Really cool looking design, great cooling, sweet LED lights.:
Cons: only 4gb vram, only 1600mhz ram, laptop CPU, 256gb SSD, overpriced.

Sager NP9772-S
I7-4790K
512GB SSD + 1TB HHD
Nvidia GTX 980m 8GB GDDR5 WITH OPTIMUS
32GB 1866 KINGSTON HYPER X CL10
IC DIAMOND THERMAL COMPOUND
XOTIC PC COPPER COOLING HEATSINKS UPGRADE
$2573
Pros: More video ram, better clock speed ram, desktop CPU, more SSD capacity, fits budget.
Cons: Heard that Sager laptops have keyboard ghosting problems, not as good cooling as Asus, laptop design is UGLY AS HELL COMPARED TO THE ASUS.

Solution
Even though minding the Sager's Cons it seems to have much better specifications than the ASUS and even $150 Cheaper and it has a desktop i7-4790K which are Over powered

In my opinion I would save the $150 for the Sager alot of people have Sager and have not heard too many complaints

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I would still go with the Sager I dont think you need to worry about a desktop powered i7-4790K anytime soon.
Plus you get the additional 4gb Vram which could easily allow you to achieve dual or triple monitor gaming with the laptop if desired.
I as well would trust ASUS more in general but for what you get with the Sager, In my opinion the Sager would be my winner
But You wont go wrong with either one!
Good Luck!

Lemarsghast

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014

So I personally think that the Asus is the most visually appealing. But if I were to customize it via Xotic PC with nearly the same specs as the Sager but with a weaker cpu and gpu then it would be way over my budget by about $1000. So the dilemma goes on.

Lemarsghast

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
Another thing I am also concerned about is the fact that Sager laptops made by Clevo are made out of plastic and I think plastic only while the Asus ROGs have metal which are made to be shot out of a cannon and be unharmed. I heard that the Sager's plastic laptops crack and become unusable. Never heard any complaints about the ROGs build quality.

Lemarsghast

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014

Is the plastic design of the Sager / Clevo long lasting? I heard that for some users that the plastic breaks and cracks up.

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I honestly dont know but I would search around the web and lokk up the Sager Forums and see what people talk about them

HeaJeoR

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
In my opinion, Sager is better than ASUS because it delivers better performance for lower price. Most people think cpu is not very important for gaming, however, if you want to have higher minimum FPS, you should have strong cpu.

phenoyz

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015

I am also planning on getting the sager, but is the "4790K processor with LGA1150 socket" the BEST EVER:) or should I wait until Skylake release, my problem with that is IT IS A NEW architecture and will probably have problems.....???

Also can you upgrade the gtx980 later on with sager?
Can you also upgrade the RAM later-on?