Asus GL551JW Optimus Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hawes

Estimable
May 6, 2015
I just purchased an Asus ROG GL551JW laptop.

It has an Nvidia control panel which appears to be completely useless. It does not save any settings I give it, it keeps reseting the preferred graphics card to the integrated card.

I try to specify the preferred graphics card to the Nvidia card for a specific program, click "Apply" at the bottom, and then when I go back into settings, it shows the Intergrated card as the preferred card instead of Nvidia.

If I start a game with ENB, ENB reports that I am using the Intel HD 4600 instead of the Nvidia card.

I have called Asus support four times over this issue, and they tell me I cannot make this change, the computer will switch cards when it needs to.

Really?

I called a fifth time, and asked how can I change the settings for the Nvidia card for when the computer does start to use this card?

I was advised to download a program off their support site called GPU Tweak. I did that, installed it, rebooted the computer, and then when I started GPU Tweak, I found no options to change the settings for the Nvidia card. Just a completely blank dialog box under "Tuning". In Settings -> Tune ->Display Priority it is completely blank.

Is this intended design for this system?

Why can't I specify when to use the Nvidia card?

If this is the intended design, why can't I change the settings for the Nvidia card on a per program basis?

I left this same post on the Asus ROG forums site. I just want to know if I should get this repaired? Is there anything I can do to configure the Nvidia card when it is used? Should I just send the laptop back because of poor design?

Tim Hawes

Estimable
May 6, 2015
This solution fixed it for me (why on earth I could not get this answer from Asus??)
Solution:
Go to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client
Right-click on nvcplui.exe
Click on Properties
Click on the Compatibility tab
Check "Run the program as an administrator"
Click OK
Viola! Nvidia control panel now saves it's settings

I also found that when I run games as administrator they automatically use the Nvidia card.

Status
Not open for further replies.