Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Hey , I have an Asus laptop.
The specs are :
I5-4200u
4GB of RAM
GeForce GT740
750GB 5400RPM .

The pc is 2 years old. since the day i bought it - it felt slower than any other laptopt I used ,
even compared to my old HP pavilion with the I5-2410M .
I do know that this cpu's clock speed is lower, but in all the benchmarks it performed better than my old one.
moreover this laptop does have a dedicated GPU , which I lacked on my previous one.

now to the problem :
the pc feels slow ,at every use.
even when I just open chrome it takes the pc over 5 seconds to just open the window.
I tried recovery several times and it didn't help.

after 2 years of suffer I finally had a chance to send it over to Asus lab , they said that the pc is fine , made a fresh install of Windows 8 [ instead of the 10 i've upgraded to ].

yet , i came back home, turned it on , installed chrome , and the story is the same :
it stuck even at the most basic tasks .
tried to open chrome and it took it over 10 seconds to complete the task, while i was waiting I tried to open the Task Manager , waited 10 seconds more for the pc to complete it.

I've seen that the built in McAfee was using about 95% of cpu load , so I uninstalled it .
the pcu loads went down and yet , it took the pc about 7 seconds to open a Chrome window , about 8 seconds to open a Task Manager window , and when I tried to make a search for Control Panel it took about 5 seconds .

I tried to run Hot CPU test , showed that the cpu is fine , without errors.
I tried Chrystal Disk test , showed that the HDD is in good condition.

I do understand why they returned the pc and said it was fine, it passes most of the test .

yet , my old , unformated for like 4 years HP pavilion is compliting every task from the above in less than a second , while the newer Asus keeps on stucking.
the Hp runs League of Legends with about 45 const fps [ just overheats ] while the asus cant maintain any constants fps count. jumps between 2 to 40 fps.

I tried to use it on maximum power and not battery saver , I did set the GPU to take over when I start League.

Can't find any reason for the pc to be so slow and laggy that even making it restart takes so much time [ not the restart time it self , I mean, even selecting the restart option takes a while if there's any program running at the background ].

Would love to hear your opinion beacuse right now at work im working on a very similar Asus laptop that came with I5-5200U , 4 GB ram and an integrated intel gpu and it works just fine. it opens every window like 5-6 times faster!

What should I look for? how can I fix it?
Thanks in advance :)

hang-the-9

Titan
I'd swap out the hard drive for a solid state, and see how things run then. If you don't keep a lot of data on the sytem, a 120 GB SSD is about $40, a cheaper 480 GB one is $120, and should speed up the system by a lot. 5400 rpm drives are pretty bad to use, combined with a slower low voltage CPU and only 4 GB of RAM.

AppleGwava

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Im quite sure its hardware related.that 5400rpm drive will really hold u back .Additionally another source might be the wifi module.poor wifi might spend time to load.

Do me a favour by running a few tests

Speedtest.net
Pingtest.net
Benchmark the hdd

xceless

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

well, about internet connection- used LAN . 100MPBS . checked the speed yesterday on got about 6MB/s.
inet is not an issue for sure since im having other pc's connected. and as I said the problem is not the net itself . it's the basic operations. I mean , chrome takes 8 seconds to just open a blank white window, and then like half a second to load the page itself.

the hdd passed chrystal drive test which showed that it works fine.
I cant run these tests atm , but I did check all of what you said. did update all drivers to the last one and all windows updates [ which took for ever ].

just to make it clear , the problem encountered at even the most basic operations. for example if I want to restart the pc?
after I click start it takes the pc like 4 seconds to just show the Start menu , and after clicking the power -> restart it takes like 10 more seconds for it to start shuting down.
Hardly doubt it's connected to Wi-fi , pings and inet in any way.

about the hdd , what program should I use since it seems you don't trust the Chrystal Disk's test results which said the hdd is in good condition ...

and just for the closure , the Asus im currently replying from at work has better cpu [ a few percent difference by benchmarks tbh , i5-5200u with 2.2 ghz instead of 4200u with 1.6 ghz ] and it's HDD is 5400 RPM aswell , still works about 10x times better and faster. both with clean windows installs.

AppleGwava

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

its not about the reliability of the hard drive,i trust u fully on that,im more concerned about the speed,read and write speeds to be exact.They affect how fast you can access data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
E Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 2
V Laptop Tech Support 3
jayadratha Laptop Tech Support 14