Question ASUS K401U motherboard with a burnt component

Aug 26, 2021
Hi guys, as stated in the title, I own a ASUS K401U laptop. Recently, while opening it up to clean the fans and tighten the lid hinges, my fat fingers dropped the screw onto the motherboard and created a spark... Upon inspection, I realised one of the component near 'J4601' was burnt and destroyed. I tried turning it on to a dark monitor and I immediately knew this was bad as it had happened to my LCD TV before - the screen backlight ain't working. The laptop works fine with an external monitor. Does anyone know how do I identify this part and where can I buy them?

P.S. I read a few posts in the forum and it could be a coil but I'm not really sure, please help out if anyone of you have knowledge of this. Thanks in advance! I am unable to share the photos through Dropbox thus sharing the link. (I will also unplug any power sources next round if I need to deal with any electronics components...)

Old thread link to another post:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn7n1hd47vtl7zm/Burnt Motherboard Component.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/am5lwdpw0dfdpwx/Burnt Motherboard Component Close-up.jpeg?dl=0

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop Tech Support 0
L Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
AD2021 Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 1
Haniels Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 3
uvBOss Laptop Tech Support 2