Asus K53E Charging Port Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anh102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hi everyone!
So about a month and a half ago I started having charging problems with my Asus laptop. The charge started toggling between "AC Mode" and "Battery Mode" and the LED light toggled on and off unless I held the charger in firmly the entire time it was in use. I had planned to fix it quickly until I got really sick and was unable to, now that I feel better I wanted to start working on it. The other day I noticed while holding in the charger an ample amount of heat coming from the connector head and immediately took the charger out. This is a new development for my pc issue. My question(s) is:
1) Is this a charging port issue as I first assumed?
2) With the charger now heating up at the port, is something else causing the problem?
3) What is the best solution to fix this?

If I hold the charger in, the battery icon reads "X& available (plugged in, charging) as it should normally. Any advice/info is appreciated!
Thanks,
Ashley

Asus K53E
Windows 7 Home Premium x-64bit, SP 1
AC/DC Adapter Input 100-240V (1.5A), Output 19V (3.42A)

Janetsusie

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Would you be kind enough to post and email me just who are you notifying in the head office with the complaint regarding the K53E model's plug charging port problem with in the head office.
Appears that we ought to send complaints to the same area, because this issue is not beng identified as a common problem with the K53E model and it is being ignored as a manufacturer problem. Need to find someone with authority.
Thanks ,
Janet

cluelessmom1

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Great idea, I was thinking the same thing. If someone who has already sniffed out the correct contact name and email would post it here, it would also make it easier for lurkers who find this thread to also complain. No telling how many people with the same model are Googling and finding this thread but not posting.

Utah

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

I'm having the same issue with a laptop that is only 2 years old, with an estimated repair cost from ASUS for $150...seriously?

I found some names but no emails so if anyone finds 'em for some Taiwanese Jonney Shih (chairmen/CEO) or Debbie Lee (Global PR Manager) feel free to share. This is BS, compared to my 7 year old Lenovo that has had zero problems. It's just slow as molasses now. My only suggestion is maybe bombard their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/ASUS

pete159

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
ive had the exact same problem. i've sent it to Asus THREE TIMES and now im having escalating problems. A new issue has arose since i last received my laptop from the Asus repair center. When i take the battery out and put it back in, and power it while its UNPLUGGED, it boots and runs normally, but the battery indicator light is off while all the other lights are functioning. When i plug the AC power cord in, the battery indicator lights up orange as it charges, then once fully charged it turns green. However, when i unplug the AC power cord, the computer shuts down half a second after. WTF ASUS PLEASE HELP. I have gotten two replacement batteries and no change. Both my original battery and the replacement battery cause the same problem. Must be hardware.

Craiglad

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I have the exact same issue with my missus' laptop as described in the OP. Found a video how to open up the laptop and get to the DC port here. I'm going to have a look at it later on today and see if I can repair the port with a bit of soldering and will report back. In any case, I've found a couple of replacement ports on ebay if I can't fix it here, here, and a rather more expensive one here.

Wish me luck ;-)
EDIT: As suspected, one of the pins on the port is broken... :bounce: ordered a new port from ebay for £2. Can't believe some people are being quoted over £100 to have a shop repair this. Robbery! :pfff:

bharathiArjun

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Hi everyone!
So about a month and a half ago I started having charging problems with my Asus laptop. The charge started toggling between "AC Mode" and "Battery Mode" and the LED light toggled on and off unless I held the charger in firmly the entire time it was in use. I had planned to fix it quickly until I got really sick and was unable to, now that I feel better I wanted to start working on it. The other day I noticed while holding in the charger an ample amount of heat coming from the connector head and immediately took the charger out. This is a new development for my pc issue. My question(s) is:
1) Is this a charging port issue as I first assumed?
2) With the charger now heating up at the port, is something else causing the problem?
3) What is the best solution to fix this?

If I hold the charger in, the battery icon reads "X& available (plugged in, charging) as it should normally. Any advice/info is appreciated!

Asus K53sm

willpuk

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

Hi I have been having the same problem for about 3 months, also keyboard is very tempermental and misses half the key strokes.
Cheers Will

Charnice Davon

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
I had this same problem with my Asus K53E I purchased it in december 2012 and iv'e had it repaired once already for $150 at my local laptop repair store! He did a really great job fixing it, only took 1 day, but low and behold abt 5 months later.... SAME PROBLEM! I am at the point where I refuse to pay another $150 to repair it, maybe I should just buy another laptop. I do use my laptop alot bc I run an internet business and do web design. My older toshiba that I purchased in 2010 still works til this day though so I think it's Asus! and although the Asus is a great laptop, i'm just fed up with the charger port problems.Now that I see I'm not the only one with this problem, I will rather just invest in another laptop without all the problems instead of spending $100-$150 to get it repaired every 5 months! Goodluck to you all though!

Pras2014

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

I have K53E bought in June2011. The DC jack issue started in Dec-2012, Called ASUS, as it was out of warranty, I didn't want to spend something more than $100.

Battery was dead after showing plugged in not charging for few days.

I got the DC jack replaced from one professional with nominal charges for soldering the DC jack.

Now again the DC jack has become unreliable.
Checked soldering contacts. Looked great.
Replaced power charger.
Worked for a day. Now again same thing the power charger indicator is blinking orange.
I can not move the laptop. If at all I have to move it, I keep it on hibernate and then move

One more thing while typing , sometimes cursor automatically moves to some other position.
Did anybody has experienced this issue?

I 've bought another laptop from some other brand for my son.

cstandley

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
Just wanted to add that I too have the problem so it is noted. Also, have the problem of the cursor going all over the place. That is not good; it erases whole emails in a single bound. Errrgh!

CS

Tami91

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
I have the same laptop with the same problem, warrenty is well over so can't take it back to be repaired or replaced. It started off as my power adaptor not working in my laptop unless I pressed it in or tilted the end but it gradually got worse then stopped working and my laptop went completely dead. I assumed it was the power adaptor that was faulty so I bought a new one, still no success so I thought it might be the power jack that's faulty so I opened my laptop up to check (I've never opened a laptop before so didn't have a clue what I'm doing, BIG MISTAKE!) but I din't know how to fix it so I asked someone who fixes computers as a hobby what they think is wrong with it and they said the power pin might need replaced and soldering in but they don't have a solderer so they can't fix it but they told me to send it to a computer repairer. So I took it to a local computer repairing company and they told me if they can fix it the repairing fee is £45 + the cost of any replacement parts so I said okay and they looked at it and told me their was a fault with the power pin and it will need replacing and the cost of the part is £15, so I agreed to the repair and they repaired it, I took it home and it was working fine for a few weeks but now it's back to how it was again with charging problems! What a waste of £60 I paid them for the repair! HELP?!

michanne001

Estimable
May 15, 2014
Just replying to say that I also have this problem with my Asus laptop. I already had the same problem one year ago, at which point I was able to get it fixed in the UK under the warranty. If you have the same problem, I would not recommend that you pay for solving the problem, as it appears to be a manifacturing problem, and chances are the same problem with recur within a short time.

kgk1958

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

THE DESIGN OF A NUMBER OF ASUS SYSTEM BOARDS HAS THE AC SOCKET ABOUT 1/8TH OF AN INCH FORM THE CORNER OF THE BOARD WITH NO SCREW IN THAT CORNER TO REINFORCE THE INTEGRITY OF THIS SMALL PIECE OF BOARD WHICH INSURES THE SOCKET OR WORSE YET THE SMALL PICE OF BOARD WILL BREAK OFF DUE TO THE CONTINUAL FLEXING OF THE AREA WHEN PLUGGING THE AC ADAPTER INTO THE NOTEBOOK. REPLACING THE SYSTEM BOARD WILL RESOLVE THE ISSUE, BUT IN IMHO IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THAT AREA OF THE BOARD FAILS AGAIN. MY SISTER AND NEPHEW HAD AN ISSUE WITH THEIR X54C, HAD THE BOARD REPLACED AND 7 MONTH LATER SAME ISSUE. I AM GOING TO SUGGEST THEY BUY TWO BATTERIES AND AN EXTERNAL CHARGER TO AT LEAST BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO GET SOME USE OUT THIS POORLY DESIGNED LAPTOP.

MJSGW

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
I have the same issue. Had it repaired under warranty last year but then the same fault has just occurred a few days ago and it is out of warranty. I purchased this Asus K53e in July 2012. Spoke to a laptop repair company today who quoted £110!!! So instead I called the retailer and it was sorted in minutes. I explained that this was a reoccurring fault and mentioned the Sale of Goods Act 1979. I was offered without any argument a like for like brand new replacement laptop, so I chose a Toshiba instead of another Asus and will be delivered within 48 hours on Saturday. The retailer's customer service were polite, I requested a free repair, replacement or refund and it was the customer service woman who suggested a brand new replacement. She even gave me a call back giving me time to choose online the laptop I wanted.

expertrepair

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014

expertrepair

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
All Asus charging socket was cheaply made and solder quality is not sound, so far I have repair nearly 100 laptop and 95 of laptop were from Asus.
I wouldn't suggest anyone to repair it themselves unless they have all the tools and equipment to remove solder...simple solder wick is not going cut it. Potential problem is lifting the circuit traces near the socket grounding traces....there are 4 grounding pads and a center pin.

You need to have de-soldering station and good liquid flux, SN96 solder and finally Microscope.
One thing to keep in mine that all laptop boards is commercially made and cheap, and not durable like military type board.
So be very be careful when you decide to do it yourself.

expertrepair

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
The fee for most repair shop were outrages.
all it takes is 1hr with proper tool, and the fee should take no more than $100 just perform such repair, that is including removing the board and part.
That is what we charged, not including the shipping fee and insurance.

ALNeet

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
I'm just replying to say I have the same problem with my laptop which i have bought 2 years ago. I'm looking for ways to get it repaired but, now i have learned it could be a manufacturing problem, i'm considering to buy a new laptop.

sfadewit

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
FortheKids 15 August 2014 19:22:12
To all of you who are going out and buy new laptops what are you doing with your old ones? I would be happy to take them off your hands.
I have the same problem but did not repair it yet. Are you willing to pay for a laptop like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.