Asus K56CB cannot shut down no matter the OS

activitis

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
I've recently had a boot problem my Asus K56CB and I had it sent to warranty service where they replaced the motherboard.

Since I received it back, I'm not able to power off or restart the laptop no matter the operating system. It just hangs keep loading in "Shutting down..." state.

Tried Windows 7 Professional - Fresh installation - Stays in that state for about 15-20 minutes, then takes me back to desktop without any intervention.
Tried Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - the exact same behaviour.

I should mentioned that not even the reloads during Windows setup are working. In those cases I manually press the Power button for 5 seconds.

I did try to load Safe Mode and it was the only way I could get it to shut down normally from the Start button.

I also installed fresh Windows 8.1 and behavior is also a bit strange. When I try to shut down, the screen turns off, as it would if I shut it down, but the fans are still working and LEDs are still on, however after about 15 minutes it finally powered off completely !!

I'm not sure if this is hardware or software problem. I've installed fresh OSes, without anything else on them, from reliable sources so I guess it shouldn't be a software issue. It didn't behave like that.

To me it seems more of a hardware issue but I'm concerned that Warranty will send it back arguing it's actually software.

Do you guys have any hints?

Hi,

Normally, running a clean install of an Operating System would have resolved that problem but in your case it didn't. Do try running Windows Update and install all the important updates available. Next is to run a BIOS update since the motherboard has just been replaced. If all these will not work I would suggest contacting Asus Support, it may require more troubleshooting steps in their repair center.

activitis

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for the hint.

Just booted Ubuntu, and it shuts down without any problem.

Also loaded Windows 10, added all most recent drivers and the problem persists. On one occasion I saw a BSOD while it was trying to shut down, that made reference to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I looked into it and it suggests to be a driver problem, but the problem is there with or without drivers.

I can't figure out what it is and it drives me nuts. BIOS is already running latest version.

Opened a case with ASUS 3 days ago but no reply yet.

activitis

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for the idea. Tried it, but didn't work, unfortunately.

I'm planning to send it back to ASUS service today or tomorrow. I will let you guys know what they'll do about it.