ASUS laptop - AC power turns itself off and switches to battery

mike ma

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
ASUS K95VB, Win8.1-64bit

ASUS AC adapter ADP-90YD B is plugged in, battery charged up to 100% (green battery indicator light is on)

I want to continue using the computer being plugged in, but after some time it stops using AC power and starts using the battery again (battery indicator light goes out)

I have to physically unplug the adapter from the AC outlet and re-plug it in order to start using AC power again (just unplugging the connector at the computer doesn't not do it)

could it have something to do with power settings? Right now I have it on the Power4Gear Battery Saving plan. Have used other settings as well, doesn't seem to make much difference.

is the adapter faulty?

except for the above problem it works fine - runs OK on battery (about 2-1/2 hours or more), then charges up to 100%, also runs OK on AC power
(if I follow the above described procedure of re-plugging the AC power)

also - if I shut down the computer and then turn it back on, even though it is plugged in, it runs on the battery. If I then un- and re-plug the adapter, it works again on AC power (but, as I said already, only for some time)

how can this be fixed? thanks for any help

Hi,

That actually is a normal behavior of a laptop to preserve the life of your battery. It shuts it self off from charging the battery to protect it. If you check inside Windows there's no option for you to change what the charger does if it's plugged in. You can change brightness or power plan but thing to keep it charging as long as the battery is connected. If I may suggest just take the battery off and keep it on the AC adapter specially if you'll use the laptop for a long time to save the battery and money as well.

mike ma

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks for suggestion.I am still wondering, though, why I actually have to physically un- and re-plug (from the wall outlet, not just from the computer) the charger so that the computer runs on AC and not on the battery. As far as I remember (have had the computer for almost a year) this wasn't always the case. When the battery was low it would charge up to 100% and then it would continue to run on AC power (and not charge or use the battery). Something seems to have changed.Have done a system recovery to an earlier point, no change (and really don't want to do a complete system reset ... too many programs to re-install).

ALIDA_

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

I was wondering if you have solved this problem?? I have the EXACT same problem for some time now and its been driving me crazy. I have an ASUS laptop and the exact same adapter as you do. I'd appreciate a solution to this problem if you have one. Thanks

Erick_4

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hi both... I have the same adapter with an asus n550 and having exactly the same problems. These appeared in january 2016 and I have my laptop from middle 2014 without any problems until the mentioned date... How I said, exactly the same problems, plug and unplug over and over again the adapter from the outlet. Sometimes it works, sometimes not and when it works, suddenly stops charging even if the battery is half drained.
Well, let me tell you that the problem is precisely the adapter. Recently I have changed this ADP-90YD B for a ADP-65JH BB from an old asus K52F and voilà!... Problems are gone! It has a little lower amperage than 90YD, but works with no problems.
Now I have seen your experience with this adapter, easily can think in manufacturing flaws?...

Sorry my horrible english hehe

TRENDING THREADS