My son's asus X551M will only turn on for about 5 seconds then shuts off. When the ac adapter is plugged in the charging light is on. It still doesn't turn on. I did the hard reboot as described. When it came to the step where the battery is out and you plug in the adapter & fire the computer up, nothing happens. No lights. No 5 sec start up. Any suggestions?
It seems like a problem with the AC adapter since it's not powering the laptop without the battery connected but here are some more troubleshooting steps to help in identifying the issue.
- Do a hard reboot first, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- Next to try is to remove the battery again and power it on with just the AC adapter connected. If it will still not boot up, do try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage with yours and see if it will power the laptop or not.
- If using a different AC adapter will also not work proceed with reseating the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in and see if the laptop will boot up or not.
- If all these will not work the problem is the motherboard already.
- Do contact ASUS for a repair if the laptop is still under the factory warranty.