ASUS laptop doesn't turn on.

eXimpo

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Good evening,

I have problem with my 5 year old laptop. (ASUS N71Ja, Core i5 430M, ATI Mobility Radeon HD5730).

Few days ago it was just idling at my desk and suddenly screen went blue (not BSOD, just blue).
I restarted it by pressing and holding power button and now it won't turn on again.

After i press power button it starts to spin CPU/GPU FAN at full speed and spins HDD/ODD for about 3-5sec then FAN remain at full speed, but all lights except power go out. (It doesn't even show POST screen, display remains off all the time).

I have tried swapping and removing memory sticks, HDD and SSD(i have 2 HDD and 1 SSD in it), disassembled it completely to check all cables and replaced thermal compound, but couldn't find what is wrong.
Have searched tons of forums including this one of course :), but unfortunately could not find an answer.

I will be very happy for every answer and i am ready to try every solution as long as it is not tried yet :)

Solution
Try to plug it into an external monitor... see if anything comes up. if it's an issue with just the screen or the inverter, then a picture will still show on an external monitor... if it stays black and still shows no picture on an external monitor it's 99% going to be GPU Failure.

Best answer redacted by request of OP. - G
Try to plug it into an external monitor... see if anything comes up. if it's an issue with just the screen or the inverter, then a picture will still show on an external monitor... if it stays black and still shows no picture on an external monitor it's 99% going to be GPU Failure.

Best answer redacted by request of OP. - G

Solution

eXimpo

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Sorry, forgot to mention, that i have tried to connect external monitor via VGA port yesterday, it didn't help.
I was thinking about GPU problem, but then i thought, that it might be CPU as well.

eXimpo

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Yeah, it was GPU indeed. After reflowing with heat gun works like new(don't know for how long though).