asus laptop "drops" connection to internet but all other devices stay connected

danielleswartz1995

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
my asus laptop regularly "loses connection" as if the internet connection cut out, but at the same time two phones, another laptop and an ipad all stay connected and functional. it is worth noting that this laptop has a failing hard drive and motherboard, could that be the source of the problem? it is starting to become a problem so big the laptop is nearly nonfunctional for online use

Solution
It is really common for certain devices to lose the connection when the internet cuts out even for a moment without auto reconnecting. Especially computers. If that is what is happening it isn't the computer that is the problem, it is that the internet connection is cutting out. It shouldn't do that. I would contact your ISP about it.
It is really common for certain devices to lose the connection when the internet cuts out even for a moment without auto reconnecting. Especially computers. If that is what is happening it isn't the computer that is the problem, it is that the internet connection is cutting out. It shouldn't do that. I would contact your ISP about it.

Solution

hugnkiss2007

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
So I'm having the same issue, with the same brand laptop. I've had this laptop for about a year and it seems to be working fine otherwise. What I'm experiencing is that the connection speed drops so low that I essentially lost connection, but then after 30 seconds or so the speed returns to normal. I'm not experiencing this with any other device using the same network, so my ISP seems to think it must be this machine (although they haven't come out to my home- they'll charge $100 if they come and the issue is my computer and not their router/equipment). I checked to make sure my drivers are updated. Any other ideas?