Asus laptop keeps resetting

kellogs

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

it was all working fine until today - I went for a car ride with the laptop running onthe passenger's seat, all fine, though I did use it (by resuming Windows on it) past its low-battery hibernations twice. Got home, went inside and plugged it in to the charger; tried to start it and this is what I got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJOejRgwE8&feature=youtu.be

Tried a secondary screen, leaving the battery 10 minutes to charge a bit and taking off the battery, same deal. It was raining when I took it out of the car and back into the house but I don't think it caught more than one or two water drops.
What gives ?

Thanks!

kellogs

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

It surely looks like that as it would not enter BIOS as well; however somebody suggested me to persist and luckily it did enter BIOS. From there I was able to boot from a Linux live CD and see that the HDD partitions were OK. I have then pulled the Windows 8.1 disk and attempted a bootloader repair. Win 8.1 install disk informed me it has failed to o so, however one reboot later the laptop was booting into a DOS-like bootloader which works fine for loading Win 7 and Win 8.1 and not so fine for loading a third entry - Mac OSX - a long forgotten failed attempt of mine to turn this laptop into an iHack.

But that third entry has been there for years, and Windows 8.1's bootloader has never complained, neither has Windows 7's bootloader, so what has happened ? I now remember having changed the default OS to boot in Win8.1's bootloader recently... dunno, this might have been what tripped poor Win8.1 bootloader.

So I am sailing again, and that form the video is no way to guess a bootloader failure.

cheers!