Question Asus Laptop motherboard and bios versions issue ??? HDD write issue.

Nov 30, 2019
So recently my brothers gave me his laptop to diagnose cause it was extremely slow, i assumed it was a virus or something and since he gave me the ok i tried to reset it which in the process failed so i decided to reinstall windows, in the process after booting to the installation i was unable to format the hdd to install windows due to some error so i took out the hard drive and i checked it on another pc (guaranteed the hdd is good did every test) wiped it and put it back. So now i tried again i still run into an error. Using diskpart it try to clean the hdd from the laptop but i keep getting an "I/O" error. So after digging further i came across something which im not sure could be causing the problem. I asked my brother he said he doesnt remember every flashing anything so this is why im not certain.

So the issue is that the laptop mother board states that it is an Asus X541UVK Rev 2.0 how ever the bios version installed on it belongs to a different model which is an Asus X541UAK now everything else like the keyboard and all works fine however the HDD doesn't get detected in the bios but it can be seen in windows installation. I tried to use the EZ Flash utility to flash the bios that matches the motherboard but the utility says its not a valid bios file but when i try the other models bios it will accept and flash it.

So my issue is it possible for a motherbaord to run on a bios that doesnt match it and if so can this be causing the i/o error.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 7
M Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 4
palas Laptop Tech Support 3
ShovelSaint Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 1
joyesmoke Laptop Tech Support 1
Layton99 Laptop Tech Support 4
Lucaskp4 Laptop Tech Support 1