ASUS Laptop shuts down even when using AC

kdaly4

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I bought an ASUS laptop in August of 2014 and it worked great. Now, I did some updates yesterday and it was working fine until this morning. It was very slow and then just shut down. I cannot get it to stay running. When it does come on it says it is doing updates and not to shut down the computer and then bam! It shuts itself down. The battery is internal and I cannot remove it. I have it plugged in to the AC and it still shuts down. I cannot even get it to finish the updates so that I can get online with it to see where there may be an issue. Anyone else have this happen?

Hi,

First do a hard reset with it, disconnect the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. If that doesn't work try removing the battery then plug in the AC adapter without the battery see if it still shut itself off because if it does it could be your AC adapter that is faulty. If available, try using a different AC adapter that has the same voltage with your own charger and see if the same problem persist.

kdaly4

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Thanks for your suggestion but the battery is not removable unless I take it apart. On a good note, I was able to take the back off, disconnect the keyboard, power and something else and clean the fan and the inside. It was quite dusty. I have since turned it back on and did a system restore since it only started after I did a mass update. So far it is working and has not shut down (about 15 minutes running so far!).
I think the problem was just a VERY dirty laptop guts. :wahoo: