Question ASUS laptop starts but won't restart

Sep 16, 2020
I have an ASUS N501VW laptop running Windows 10 Home edition version 1903. A while ago whenever I selected the "Restart" option in the Windows start menu the following happens:

• the laptop cleanly shuts down
  • the laptop begins its startup phase and shows the ASUS logo on the black screen

That's it! It never completes the startup sequence. The power and charging lights are on but there is no disk light activity. I can quickly press and release the power button and the laptop immediately shuts off. I can then press and release the power button and the startup sequence works fine. Since the startup sequence always works after a shutdown I've ignored the problem. The issue for me now is that Windows is whining that my version of Windows is old and needs an upgrade. Fine. However, during the upgrade process Windows does a restart. When I do the usual pressing of the power button to shut it off then press it again to power it up, Windows apparently detects that this is a normal power up and not a restart and uninstalls the Windows upgrade!

Any idea why a normal power up would work fine but a restart would not? Any thoughts on how to get the restart to work again.

Sep 16, 2020
- I ran DISM and got what appears to be a clean report:

C:\WINDOWS\System32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.900

Image Version: 10.0.18362.1082

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

• I chose "Restart" from the start menu and still got the same behavior.
  • I then followed the procedure to do a clean boot. On restart I continued to get the same behavior. Only a start initiated from the power button works.