Asus Laptop unable to boot (black screen, no bios)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedekind

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hi guys,

I have an Asus X45C laptop about 10 months old. Yesterday I finished watching a movie with very little battery left, so I closed the lid, put it away and went to bed. This morning the laptop won't boot. Of course I charged the battery all the way, and tried several combinations of turning the laptop on only on AC adapter, only on battery, on both; I also tried removing battery and adapter, holding ON button for several minutes, then trying to power up again with only adapter, only battery, or both, all the time the result is exactly the same, so these are the symptoms:

- Screen is completely black, no bios, no beeps, no anything.
- Power and battery lights turn on (they work ok, if I remove the battery, the light shows that, etc.)
- Hard disk light comes on for about 1 second, then off forever.
- Caps lock and num lock are constantly on.
- Keyboard doesn't do anything at all.
- The DVD unit is working: when I turn the laptop on, it will make noises, and if a disc is inside, it will make even more noises, the usual noises that I get when reading a disc. The button for opening the unit also works. I tried powering up with the DVD unit open, and no noises at all.
- No fans at all are working.
- Also tried using an external monitor, no luck.

I really don't want to RMA it, I know it could be a hardware failure, but it could also be an easy repair. Maybe the CMOS battery or something related to hibernation. Caps lock and num lock always on is what really strikes me.

Oh and one more thing. A couple of times in the past, I had to force a shutdown on the laptop so I would press the ON/OFF button for 4 or 5 seconds.. when it did shutdown, as far as I recall, that was it. When I do that now, I hear a very slight beep after doing a force shutdown. I'm pretty sure this beep was not present when I did force shutdowns before.

Any comments are widely appreciated, thanks!

Update: the beep may have been there before, nevermind. One more sympton: closing the lid doesn't do anything, the same lights are on.

Solution

venky4726

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
me too got same p[roblem but i solved this ,.
for this u own u r laptop backup cd put it and on laptop it will bottt and select repai my computer in left corner ,after that it wil start up .normally
sorry for my bad english..i didn't know that well

Sajobst

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
For my issue. All I had to do was upon restarting. I held the shift key and selected restart. It gave lots of options which I chose to recover from a certain point.

mitch8

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

So Cheech, did you find out what the problem was?

penplez05

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
.... after taking the DC power supply out and unplugging the AC power supply ; hold main power button down for 2 minutes. then reinstall the battery pack, plug in computer to AC source and push main power button and FN button and f5 button all the same time. that's what worked for me good luck!!!!

Bobby H

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
I have had this problem for awhile now ( laptop X52F ). When you have to restart, you get a blank screen on the restart. You can hear it booting up ok and you can hear the windows (7) log on sound, but no graphic displayed at all. So you end up holding down the start button for 8 seconds to switch it off. When you switch it back on F8 does not work, so you do not have any safe mode options. You then end up doing the ctr/alt/del many times and this sometimes seems to fire it up into normal working mode. Sometimes it brings up an error screen saying you can try a fix, but that never works. And sometimes it just gets the graphics to display and you can log in as normal.

I don't think this is a problem with hardware or a lose connection, as the laptop works really well when you have managed to get it working. It is just a problem on restart.

My instinct is that this is a software problem with the graphics driver not starting up properly. I have been advised to use msconfig and to change the setting so when I switch off, it should force it into safemode on restart. I can then delete the current graphics driver and the reinstall it. Some say that this will cure the problem, but I am fearful of making it worse.

Any thoughts on this ? It seems to be a very similar problem to what is being discussed here.

mitch8

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Bobby,

My issue is that it doesn't get to the post. The only leds on is the power-on led; the fan is working but there is no beep from the post, no hard drive access, nothing.

PM Dawn

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

Guys, I just had the same issue and it worked. You're a life save PenPlz!!!!

rwaggers

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Hi I have a UX301L. Not a cheap laptop! Looks great - very lite, solid state etc. So far I have had to have the motherboard replaced about 3 months after I bought it. Must be 12 months old now or less.

This PC fails to start properly no matter what you do UNLESS you have put it to sleep and wakeup within a few hours - or if you shut down and restart. So, every morning I hit the power button and the light on the button comes on but nothing happens. Then I hit and hold the power button and eventually the light goes out. Then I hit the power button and the Caps Lock button light comes on as well. Then I have to find something else to do for 5 to 10 mins until I hear the fan whirring in the machine. Then I have to hit and hold the power button and eveything turns off. Then I have to hit the power button and hopefully the whole keyboard lights up and eventually I arrive at the bios screen (save settings and exit), sometimes this doesn't happen and I have to go back through the above process. When I have saved the settings and exited the bios screen the machine then boots to the log in screen. This whole process usually takes 20 to 30 minutes!

I have been a windows man all my life. I have a shotgun. I am seriously considering using my £1000+ laptop as a clay pigeon and buying an Apple Mac - that's how desperate the situation is!

I am sorry I don't have an answer for everybody yet. If anyone has one for me I will gladly try - I will try updated bios as suggested above but apparently a friend has already done that for me.

Asus - you are definitely on my 'do not recommend' list - unless its a Windows 8 problem..but its not happening with our DELL!

Paulo Almeida

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015

Hey pal, did you found what the problem is? The same is happening with my asus k53sv. The computer booted but never passed the asus logo or let me go to thr bios and now i only get a black screen, the hdd spin like 1-2 seconds and stop, the fan works, the dvd drive spins. That caps and numb thingy is happening to me as well. Is that somekind of warning of hardware failure from asus? Please, contact me if you diecovered something. Thanks for your time.

Blwnsmk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Have pretty much the same problem on ASUS n550, started after I installed all of the March MS updates at same time (stupid me!). Constant reading of CDROM makes problems similar. First 'boot' after updates read CD 50+ times before starting, 'reboot' would read seemed forever until power button was held to force shutdown.. After forced shutdown letting system sit for 10+ minutes it would then 'boot' while I could hear the CDROM being accessed constantly again for 50+ times. I think I made progress yesterday by doing a cold boot following the MS instructions. It will now at least 'reboot' though it does many reads on CD.

Doing research I had removed update KB3035131 to no avail.

I started to think that during 'reboot' cycle the system was shutting down and going to sleep because it popped up once when I moved the mouse, also the Event logs showed kind of normal shutdown/startup activity with no errors.
So I think I've made progress but,,,,
Should have used restore point prior to updates, but,,, actually that restore point was shortly not shown.
Pulling everything together for a restore but would rather keep this running until Win 10,,

lisaeg

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi, this happened to me last night with my ASUS. No worries! I am not a computer expert. I. Shut the lid like always and the next time I went to use it it did the exact same thing yours did. I turned mine off by holding the off button in for 2 minutes. Then started it up. This time it showed Windows updating , which took quite some time. It went through a restart on its own then another update and everything works normal now. Here is my thought. It must have shut off last night during a very important update. Where it clearly says do not turn off your computer updating. Very simple. I hope you got it back up without too much trouble.

Not very useful

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Hey guys have had asus for a year or so sometimes deleting or uninstall programs can cause this what I found that works is plugging it directly into the Internet turn it on and leave it there on charge asus will automatically connect to the asus server after a while things will start to happen you'll slowly gain access then you can repair

cmleow

Estimable
May 16, 2015
Good day to all.
I am having similar problem with my ASUS laptop A43SD after flashing to new bios version 208 using the EZ flash ultility in the CMOS. I have tried all the suggested key combinations but got no luck. After pressing power button, DVD drive spin, led on for 3 or 5sec then power off. No beep no nothing. I believe d flashing have corrupted the bios But Don't know how to fix it. Any guru here got other suggestions? Thx.

RoB Ambrossio

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
penplez05 said:
.... after taking the DC power supply out and unplugging the AC power supply ; hold main power button down for 2 minutes. then reinstall the battery pack, plug in computer to AC source and push main power button and FN button and f5 button all the same time. that's what worked for me good luck!!!!

Guys, I just had the same issue and it worked. You're a life save PenPlz!!!!
Quoted 1 time.

Hey guys! I just have the dame issue with my Asus X750J and I tried what penplez05 said and it worked!

In my case a Windows 8.1 update was interrupted while it was being installed.

I tried disconnecting Power Charger from Power Outlet... Unppluging the power charger from my laptop... then pushing down the Power Button for about 2 mins... and then pushing power button again like a nornal turning on process and it worked out!

Reading the thread I saw I guy saying "when a Windows update is not installed properly for any reason... Windows will protect the computer with a power warning until this get corrected or deactivated this power warning"

dahaabz6

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
I have the same problem with my asus
.LEDs flash
Battery light on.
Power light on.
No power to screen. Blank. Black.
All what you have to do is just test your RAM or RAM slots by removing the power then take all the RAM out then place them one at the time and switch between the RAM slots and you will figure out witch RAM or witch slot is not working and you will be back on track.
Good luck guys.

Dhanushka_Liyanage

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
Hi Guys,

I know that original post is very old. But I believe there can be so many people around facing difficulties with same issue.

I had similar problem with Asus K43Jr model. There was only black screen after power on. HDD worked only for few seconds and HDD LED went off. Power LED stays on and fan spun at full speed. No BIOS or Asus logo at least.

My suspicion was about gpu. Because I checked by disconnecting LCD connector and connected external monitor, It didn't work. And also CPU fan worked endlessly giving a hint that motherboard was working.

1. I dismantled the laptop completely and separated motherboard from other components.
2. Removed heat sink and fan assembly.
3. Removed processor.
4. Located GPU (ATI mobility Radeon chip)
5. Isolated this chip by covering other electronic components by using alufoil with capton tapes.
6. Heated GPU using hot air gun by monitoring the temperature.
7. Needed to heat it up to 220deg celcius and maintain it for 1-2min. (Read temp profile for chip for more accurate info)
8. Left it cool down upto room temp.
9. Assembled back all laptop again.

Power up...And got everything running again....:bounce:

Hope this help someone who need some info.

Doctor Gadget

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
Hi. I have the same problem with an Asus X54HR. Suddenly it stopped working!
It turns on, the lights are on, only the light from hdd stays about 1 sec on after that it turns off, cooler doesn't turn on at all and the screen is black. I don't know what to do anymore, I tried everything: hold the power button, take out the hdd, take out the optical drive, switch the ram, verified all the connectors to mainboard, take out the bios battery, even reflow the gpu. Nothing works! PLEASE I NEED HELP ON THIS... It could be the controller on the mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.