Solved! Asus laptop won't format partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2018
I have been having trouble with my Asus laptop and I am trying to do a clean install of windows. When I try this I am unable to get far as I am unable to format a new partition on the hard drive. It will let me add a new one and delete old ones but it won't let me format it. I was thinking perhaps the problem was my hard drive so I ran chkdsk /r C: in the command prompt and it came back windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. I am very very new to this kind of stuff so I guess my question is does this mean my hard drive is fine? And if it does what else could my issue be? The next thing I could think to try would be a new sata cable? Unless anyone has any other suggestions? Any advice at all is appreciated! Thank you.

Aug 13, 2018
Yes I guess I left out some information. I started trying to manually format when the automatic install gave me this error "we couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. 0x80070057" so just letting it format on it's own automatically is not working.

Aug 13, 2018
Mgallo848 thank you for your response. I have seen Microsoft's information and I have tried all the steps to no avail. The last step where it says formatting should complete correctly is when I get the error we cannot format the selected partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.