Solved! Asus microphone. Device detected, but does not pick up sound

Sep 25, 2021
Asus X540UV laptop.
Only using the internal audio device (realtek high definiation audio).

Thursday i had my laptop upgraded, added RAM.
Since then my video and mic stopped working. Now my video is working again. The cable (same cable for mic and cam) connecting from top to the motherboard
was not properly attached.

The difference in both is that my camera wasnt detected anymore by the system. But the system still detects the microphone.
The problem is that it simply will not pick up any voices. I took it to the IT store here and he couldnt just fix it either.

I updated the BIOS, updated all drivers that ASUS offers. I re-installed it from the device manager. Put it on and off. Nothing.
The IT guy looked as well, couldnt find any software issues. He opened the top as well and all seems good.

When i put something in the stereo connection on the side of the laptop it does picks up the noise from it. Like when you scratch the inside of the stereo entrance
the input of the main microphone picks it up.
Also when i put in my ears with mic on it, then it does work.

Odd problem it seems, anyone that recognizes it? Knows any possible solution? From what i could find i tried everything.

Solution
Really does sound odd. The microphone worked before the RAM replacement? And it uses the same cable and connection as the camera? Meaning it doesn't split at the end, like a Wi-Fi adapter connection? It just seems like the microphone is not connected properly.

Since it does pick up noise from the stereo connection, maybe you're looking at the wrong thing- Try checking the audio drivers, and the audio connections in the laptop from the speakers and the AUX port.

Also, are you testing the input in Windows or in the BIOS as well? I don't know if the BIOS has a way to test it, but if it does, try it.

mrmike16

Honorable
Really does sound odd. The microphone worked before the RAM replacement? And it uses the same cable and connection as the camera? Meaning it doesn't split at the end, like a Wi-Fi adapter connection? It just seems like the microphone is not connected properly.

Since it does pick up noise from the stereo connection, maybe you're looking at the wrong thing- Try checking the audio drivers, and the audio connections in the laptop from the speakers and the AUX port.

Also, are you testing the input in Windows or in the BIOS as well? I don't know if the BIOS has a way to test it, but if it does, try it.

Solution