I have an Asus N550JK which i have installed a SSD and replaced the dvd drive with a HDD caddy for the old HDD. Both drives were formatted and then Windows 10 installed on the SSD. Installing drivers or windows updates cause 3 issues:
- if the laptop is put to sleep all open applications are closed
- holding F2 to access the bios only works when the laptop is restarted and not when powering on from shut down
- when the laptop is restarted the HDD makes a beep and then a clunk noise
With the "clunk" noise, that sounds like a drive error. Either it is not totally secure in the case, or the drive itself is not secure.
The F2 problem, it sounds like "Fast Startup" is turned on. If that is the case, here is how to turn it off (and on).
To Turn On or Off Fast Startup in System Settings
1. Go to 'Control Panel' and click on the "Power Options icon".
2. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left side.
3. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
4. If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), click"Yes".
5. Do step 6 or step 7 below for what you would like to do.
6. To Turn On Fast Startup.
a. Under "Shutdown settings", check the "Turn on fast startup box", click "Save changes", and go to step 8 below.
7. To Turn Off Fast Startup.
a. Under "Shutdown settings", uncheck the "Turn on fast startup box", click "Save changes", and go to step 8 below.
8. You can now close the 'System Settings' window.
Note: If the "Turn on fast startup" setting is not listed, then you will need to close the "System Settings" window, enable "hibernate", and then start over at step 1 again.
For the "Sleep Mode" issues, see if this helps...
1. Go to and click the "Power Icon" and then click "More Power Options".
2. Under the plan that is currently selected (Balanced, Power Saver....) click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. On the next screen you may have to click at top of screen on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
5. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
6. Change/set it to allow.
7. Click "OK".
8. Finally shut down and power up the computer.