Asus N551ZU - Dedicated video card not working

VladHD

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
I bought recently a notebook (Asus N551ZU-CN010D) with FX-7600P and R9 M280X 4GB GDDR5 video card and i have this major problem: no matter what i do,i cannot choose the r9 to run as primary card. In BIOS i don't have the option to disable the integrated chipset,and i tried every single option in catalyst control center,i put everything on High Performance and still not working,still integrated card runs primary. I disabled integrated card from Management,but after that it says that no card detected and it runs on VGA. I tried everything but nothing seems to work.
So please if anyone knows how to solve this,i'll be gladful.

Solution
Hi,

Start by doing a clean install of the AMD graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Do the same in Programs and Features, uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD, just do the automatic detect and install.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot make sure to set it to High Performance again so it would use your graphics card for your games and software that requires your graphics card.
Hi,

Start by doing a clean install of the AMD graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Do the same in Programs and Features, uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD, just do the automatic detect and install.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot make sure to set it to High Performance again so it would use your graphics card for your games and software that requires your graphics card.

Solution

gafie

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
yes, it will only shows R7 as the primary device, because i think the R9 M280X is not a hardware but only and extended driver (ghost device). i tried playing call of duty : advanced warfare and it shows me at the video settings that i use R9 for the video card and suggests me with mostly mid to high performance in most of the options. i guess that as long as you keep everything on high performance at control center and at windows power options, the 4gb r9 m280x will work, seemlessly