ASUS N551ZU-DM022H Laptop issue(?)

Makonius

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Hi, tom's guide community. I have bought the laptop from the title a couple of days ago. I meant to use it for a lot of things from uni work to gaming. So I took the liberty to download a game (TES5:Skyrim), and modded it a lot. By my laptop's configuration it should have been no problem and it automatically set my preferences to Ultra High.

So I played the game and it froze at one point, it was probably way too much for it to handle. I couldn't do anything, ctrl + alt + del didn't work and it was unresponsive except for a looped sound effect. I also heard it getting louder so I plugged it out of the power outlet.

Here's the problem. I booted it again and I noticed that the laptop is slightly louder (it worked completely noiseless before, couldn't even notice that it's turned on), and there's a faint clicking sound coming out of it. Like a clock and it doesn't seem to go away. It still ran at top efficiency, but the noise is pretty unsettling for me, given that I had only bought it three days ago.

I did a chkdsk /r through cmd prompt and I restarted it now it says "Checking and Repairing Drive 12%" and it's stuck at 12%.

I searched through forums and I couldn't come across anything relevant, except for people saying that the HDD is totaled.

Can somebody provide any useful info? Did I mess up, or is it nothing to worry about?
Also, if it IS true, can a hard drive be replaced, or have I ruined my new laptop?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: The chkdsk finished and showed no messages. It's kind quiet again but the clicking sound is there when I lean my ear on the keyboard.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
If it's a constant, rhythmic clicking, sounds like the cooling fan. If it were intermittent and random, I would suspect the HDD. Check the S.M.A.R.T. status for your drive, it may give you a clue.

Makonius

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

It is constant and rhythmic, I'll run the S.M.A.R.T now.