Asus N56VZ Charging goes to Battery Mode when Gaming

Mister M

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have a Asus N56VZ that I bought a couple years back. It's still a nice running machine and I do a bit of working and also gaming with it, mainly current demanding games such as FIFA 15 or GTA V.

My charger went "kaputt" this week, the power cord position would give no charging indication, it was making a funny "beeping" noise (the charger, not the laptop) and even the attempt of a different main power cord (the one that goes from the plug to the charging "box) had no effect.

That said, I sent my charger to the local repair shop - without the laptop - and I was told that the cord was deffective and they would replace it. All fine when I came home, general browsing of the internet was ok in the highest Windows 7 power settings, but only when I decided to load up FIFA 15, the issue came around where the laptop went between Battery Mode and Charging (High Performance) on a loop. Meaning that in a single minute it would alternate between these two modes for about 20 times.

I attempted to "reset" battery and the issue still ocurrs, which leads me to suspect that the wiring is not effective when the energy demand rises to, let's say, gaming (by loading up the Nvidia that is the muscle for these games).

If any of you guys has any ideas, I have ordered a new charger and am taking this new "repaired" one to store next week, in the meantime attempting to avoid using it and definetely not loading anything "graphics intense".

Thanks a million, have a nice weekend!

Solution
I'm going to consider that more than just the cord is bad on the old adapter (I suspect a blown cap at least) since it appears that the old adapter can no longer supply the power needed to run high demanding games or applications which is why it goes to battery power at times.
I think you'll be set with the replacement adapter (provided you didn't purchase the absolute cheapest one from China you could find - that usually doesn't end well)
I'm going to consider that more than just the cord is bad on the old adapter (I suspect a blown cap at least) since it appears that the old adapter can no longer supply the power needed to run high demanding games or applications which is why it goes to battery power at times.
I think you'll be set with the replacement adapter (provided you didn't purchase the absolute cheapest one from China you could find - that usually doesn't end well)

Solution