ASUS N61Jq Laptop screen not working

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hi all,
I am trying to fix an ASUS laptop for a friend, the screen is not working. The laptop boots ok but with a blank screen only. The problem just started occuring yesterday, there were no immediate changes in drivers or anything that should have caused it, and it wasn't dropped or anything. The owner is a lady who doesn't know a lot about computers so she may have accidentally pressed something and not realised it, however, I have tried pressing all the obvious buttons that may start the screen.

I have plugged it into my tv, and the laptop works on that so I can access it and troubleshoot, which is good. The device manager says there are two generic monitors plugged in (tv and laptop screen I assume) and I have it set to display the same image on both screens.

I'm currently waiting for drivers from the ASUS website to download, however, they are 2 years old and the laptop is only 18 months old so I don't think they will help. Any ideas?

Solution
Most likely the backlight went out on the display. Try to shine a light on the screen to see if you can see the display that way. If you can faintly see the display, it isnt being backlit.

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Most likely the backlight went out on the display. Try to shine a light on the screen to see if you can see the display that way. If you can faintly see the display, it isnt being backlit.

Solution

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Updating the VGA drivers did nothing..

I shone a torch on the screen, and yeah I can very faintly see the desktop icons on the left. Does that mean the backlight is dead or it can be turned back on somehow?

I'm pretty sure its still under warranty so if it needs a repair that could be done.

TinaC

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Hi! I am having the same issue. However, I tried to shine a light on the screen and I can`t see anything. I assume this isn`t the backlight issue. I would be very greatful for any suggestions on how I can identify what is wrong with my computer. Thanks

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
It was really difficult to see and I actually did not see any of the desktop to start with when I first tried the torch, make sure you really look slowly and carefully especially where the icons should be and remember it will be very faint.

Otherwise, have you tried connecting it to another monitor and seeing if you can see your desktop on that?