Asus notebook "no bootable devices found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faboulous

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello!
I just bought a brand new Asus GL504GM-ES164 with FreeDOS and I wanted to install win10 via an usb. I used the same usb stick I use everytime for windows installation formatted to NTFS, but in this case the gl504's bios can't see any bootable devices.
It has Bios version 303 and the only options for the usb/boot are: fast boot, secure boot, legacy usb support and usb mass storage driver support. I tried every possible variatons of them disabling and enabling without any success.
The boot options section is completely empty, neither shows up the Sata 1TB HDD nor the m.2 256GB SSD. Both of them is visible in bios as 'Storage' though, along with the usb stick in the 'usb port' section (well it sometimes shows, sometimes doesn't, but I can't boot from it in either case).
I was thinking that I should enable CSM support but there are no such thing in bios 303.
Tried to make bootable usb stick with Rufus (both UEFI and UEFI-CSM scheme).
Also tried to install win7 in the same way but got the same results.
Can this be a hardware faulty so I should complain at the seller or am I missing something?
specs are:
screen: 15.6" (1920*1080)
processor: i7-8750H
ram: 2x6GB 2666mhz
graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060
all of them is visible and correct in the bios

Thank you for any advice!

Solution
you may have to disable secure boot in the BIOS for the USB drive to show up. you said it was an old USB drive. is was the USB loaded with the version of windows 10 that supports a UEFI BIOS?

if not then you should use the media creation tool to reload windows on it as it will be a fully updated version of windows 10 unlike the install you have on it now

captaincharisma

Distinguished
you may have to disable secure boot in the BIOS for the USB drive to show up. you said it was an old USB drive. is was the USB loaded with the version of windows 10 that supports a UEFI BIOS?

if not then you should use the media creation tool to reload windows on it as it will be a fully updated version of windows 10 unlike the install you have on it now

Solution

clarkjd

Distinguished

Have you tried using a Windows install USB formatted as FAT32?

Status
Not open for further replies.