Asus q550lf keyboard b n space arrow keys not working

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krashton1

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014
Hello, I just bought this laptop a few weeks ago, an ASUS q550lf.

Regardless, certain keys will occasionally work and occasionally not work. Those keys are b, n, enter, space, left shift, left control, up, and down arrow keys and maybe some others that I have missed.

Normally I am very tech savvy but I can not figure out what is going wrong with this laptop.

When the keys are not functioning properly, it appears that they will not work unless I press them and leave them pressed for 3 or 4 seconds, then it will register a single click.

I do not believe that the problem could be dirt in the keys because this laptop is still almost brand new. I have not yet tried attaching an external keyboard but I would assume it would work, I will check it tonight.

The keyboard usually will not function for about 70% of the time it seems.

Solution
Hey guys. I'm currently in the middle of trying to find a proper solution. I think I have an answer.
I am currently typing on my q550lf. About 5 minutes ago, I could not get my " Spacebar, N, B, L-Arrow, L-Shift, Enter (etc)," to give me ANY life. I'm a hardware guy and pretty mechanical. I was convinced it was a bus line that may have become severed. I called ASUS and Newegg to see if I could get any advice or maybe a hand out. No luck.
My wife insisted that it was DRIVERS. I didn't listen. I mean, seeing others have the exact spot on problem only makes me think its hardware!

I'm running this post long, mostly as a test- The keyboard STILL WORKS! What was the answer?
How many of y'all are running the original HDD? I put an SSD in...

Adrian Kagamine

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015
I can also vouch for the video that joseph_labonte had linked!

I own a N550JV which is just a over a little a year old, and just recently had issues with the B, N, Space, Enter, CTRL, Shift, 0 and arrow keys not working. The solution in the video worked 100% with little effort!

The insides of the N550JV are very similar to that in the video and will work for us N550 users, just letting everyone know!

My cable was in fact creased in one area pretty hard but simply unbent like in the video and all works fine, and currently typing right now with the laptop!

Thanks everyone

sisvoler

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015

I've been experiencing the same problem for several weeks. N550JV, Windows 8.1 64 bit and SSD. ASUS customer support didn't have an answer but asked me to replace the keyboard. Several days ago my keyboard was suddenly back to normal. No idea why.

fersot100

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
I have a q550lf and had this issue for a few days. I thought it was drivers also because I recently upgraded to Windows 10 but after downloading the proper drivers and bios updates there was still no fix. I had opened the laptop before to install an SSD in the disk tray and had disconnected the battery. Under the battery is the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the keyboard. There's two ribbon cables and the keyboard one is the wide one with the white sticker. The issue is when the battery is screwed in tight against this cable, it creases it and does not allow signals to travel across. I lifted the cable from the battery tray and folded it against the motherboard instead of inside the battery tray. It's kind of just sitting on top of the battery tray but once you screw the cover back on, it doesn't matter where it is. The point is I booted my computer and typed this entire solution with a fully functional keyboard.

MarcosTheGreat

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
Hey, I just had that problem in my ASUS R510C. Keys in the bottom row would not properly work. The problem ended up being the keyboard bus was a bit loose, or with dust or something.

I unscrewed all the screws, took out the HDD, until I could reach the motherboard. I disconnected 3 cables coming from the keyboard and touchpad to the motherboard, removed the dust inside, and plugged them again. I screwed everything again, and it is working as before now.

I hope it helps!

bbdare

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
i/ seem to have a /similar /problem, as you can/ /s/e/e,/ my computer, as i am typing, begins to insert more and more forward slashes(at least it stopped for now) even when i am using a usb keyboard, until it eventually gets stuck. in addition, on startup, for about 10 minutes after i log in, the windows key just randomly gets pressed, making it practically impossible even to use usb or onscreen(touch) keyboard. i have only had this laptop about a year, and i clean the keyboard regularly with compressed air and (in extreme cases) alcohol on a q-tip or a slightly damp paper towel. :kaola: this is pretty much how am reacting right now.

Tetrahedron

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

This fixed my problem!! With my laptop turned on, I could actually press the ribbon cable on it's fold to see my keys working and when I released it and let it go back into it's fold my keys stopped working instantly!!

I had to put some tape around the fold to keep straight, didn't put it back under the battery and is now hanging loose. I have a N550JV

Derek_27

Commendable
May 26, 2016
After digging on the Internet for some time and having my keyboard replaced once, only to have it succumb to the same keyboard issues as everyone else. The problem lies in the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the mother board, this cable is compacted and creased under the battery and this compression is too much for the cable and will cause this problem. To fix this the battery needs to be removed the cable picked up and the battery put back without the cable underneath. Finally remove the crease in the cable by bending the crease backwards. https://youtu.be/_2O5SmtefgA
Watch this to see what I mean.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Everything worked! That awesome video fixed my problem. Once I smoothed out the crease in the keyboard ribbon cable and flexed it backward to straighten it out, there are no more skipped keystrokes!

shadowork

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
re: the q550lf with certain keys not working. i also have this product. it's a hardware/engineering glitch. open it up & remove battery. find the large black keyboard ribbon. u see it has a severe crease in it. remove the exposed end from it's coupling & lift. look under & see the black plastic bottom of the laptop. NOTICE the structural rib which runs under the ribbon. this rib gives support to the thin plastic bottom panel. unfortunately, u'r keyboard ribbon cable also runs on top of it & u already know that the battery sits on top of that & in time crushes the creased part of the ribbon cable, where the plastic rib is located. it's always the same keys b/c the crush pinches the wire that controls just those key strokes. if u catch it sooner than later, u may be able to save it before it deteriorates further. also, if u have a q550lf, & maybe other 550's, here's the fix: apply some kind of thicker flexible tape to soften the creased area. reinsert the ribbon cable into position. gently pull up the now looped ribbon cable, mount the battery while the ribbon cable is pulled up. the ribbon cable will flatten out when u put the bottom back on. i tape mine to the memory card. this should work.
another way is to shave down the offending plastic rib, so it doesn't crush the ribbon cable when the battery is remounted.
if u look at the bottom of the case, it looks to me as if the engineers goofed. the ribbon cable almost fits into the space next to the structural rib, but is off by 1/2 inch. i'll bet all 550 models are like this. it's too bad b/c replacing the fricking keyboard is a major hassle, & it looks inevitable.

Mohamed Eliyas

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
i did not see the last answer,
i bought a UK keyboard and mount it with little fix.....hehehe.
yeah but the ribbon cable was probably the problem....now everything is working great.
but ASUS have to return the model...if they are really a company that wants to continue in the market.

Mr nothing

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
SOLUTION (or ONE of the solutions) ASUS K401lb

Problem: several keys on the keyboard are not responsive (something work, something do not)
-at the end of the day, the problem was found out to be the bad connection of the serial port.

Solution: (Spent 4 months trying to solve it. The solution, however, turned out to be very easy)

1. Cracking open your cover (be careful, I just broke couple of the pins surrounding the cover)

2. Within the motherboard of your laptop, try to look for the serial port (a sheet of wire, usually quite wide like 1.5 of your finger width) of your keyboard. Mine was like the zebra lines. The serial port or the sheet of wire can sometime be covered by a piece of plastic (usually white). For K401lb specifically, it was located just above the racks of battery slightly to the Right.

3. Make the port/connection stable by pushing it down and forward.

*4. If you have a can of compressed air, try to clean up the port and surrounding.

Da-Ta... If your issue is same with mine, you should be done here. Good Luck

Mr. nothing

Evan_64

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I used the same method as the video and moved the ribbon cable for the keyboard to the other side of the battery. I've only been using it for a few minutes but my keyboard is much more reliable. If I have issues I'll reply to this thread, but I would recommend that solution.

Also, this laptop requires a lot of maintenance. I've had keyboard issues, audio de-embedding issues, audio level issues, file indexing issues, and a period of time where my hard drive wouldn't retain it's drive letter and so I'd have to reassign it a letter every day.

That being said, I like it a lot. I just wouldn't recommend it.