Asus rog g750jm vs alienware 17

Parwaan virk

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
I want to buy a powerful gaming laptop and i have come down to 2 options. I live in india . Other options are welcome but my budget can not exceed 2200.The laptops i have chosen are-

Alienware 17
http://www.dell.com/in/p/alienware-17/fs (the one on the left)

Asus ROG g750jm
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-g750jm-t4018p-g-laptop/p/itmdvhyhwk3snegf

I am getting both of them for exactly thee same prize which is 2200 us dollars.
The only difference between the 2 is that with the asus i am getting 24gb of ram where as i am getting only 8gb of ram with the alienware. I will have to upgrade the ram of my alienware to atleast 16gb of ram .
I would have gone with the asus but alienware looks way cooler and it has better upgrade options and i am also getting 80gb msata drive with the alienware .

I want to know which one is sturdier as i travel a lot and which one would last me atleast 4 to 5 years without major upgrade(i would only be upgrading the ram if required).
Please help me decide which one is better.

Solution
Asus G750JM for sure. 765M vs 860M graphics is no contest. If you are a gamer which I think you probably are since you are looking at really nice gaming laptops. The Asus G750's GPU kills the Alienware's. That should be the spec you are looking at

Parwaan virk

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
alienware has more ram ??? the asus has 24gb while the alienware has 8gb
and i would not be upgrading the gpu for atleast 4 years
i can upgrade to a ssd later but not for atleast 1 year

But thanks for your advice velo3100

Parwaan virk

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
Also will the nvedia 860m 2gb gddr5 gpu be able to run watch dogs , gta 4, tomb raider, wolferine xmen origins, and james bond 007 and upcoming games at atleast high settings without any lag or screen tearing

Sorry about the ram, I must have misread it, but thanks for pointing that out.

I thinks so, but it is best to check for benchmarks on sites just to be sure before you buy the game.

Parwaan virk

Estimable
Jun 4, 2014
i know 880 is better but it does not fit my budget.......................
is asus quality really better than alienware . i have used both of themat the store and the alienware build quality and overall quality was looking better
but i am not sure which one would last me longer

Nabell531

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
Asus G750JM for sure. 765M vs 860M graphics is no contest. If you are a gamer which I think you probably are since you are looking at really nice gaming laptops. The Asus G750's GPU kills the Alienware's. That should be the spec you are looking at

Solution

fallacies

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015

you've probably made your purchase already, but

the Asus' have good SW/FW and cooling design; however,
the display and the speakers are unbearable. i returned mine a couple days before the end of the return policy. it's incomprehensible why they would use such cheap HW for the monitor and speakers............ the matte finish makes it even harder on the eyes too.

on the alienware's side, dell basically used them to replace their XPS m lines, and like their XPS m ancestors, they trend w/ motherboard issues that either cause overheating directly, or don't distribute power to all of the components correctly (indirectly leading to overheating or performance issues)........ lastly, dell is sneaky about their build quality of their batteries, and power supply, which usually have short lives & are overpriced to replace... no reason a power supply should cost ~$100

(side note: asus rogs have the ability to be used even when you pop out the battery, so long as the power supply is still connected... this support can aid in preserving your battery for a LONG time... only using it during the short times it actually needs to be cordless)

so its depends on preference...
- alienware is the beast, but it's like having a fast sportscar without the proper materials used for the engine... which will eventually melt, crack or die... if you need it to last 3-4 years,,,, it should handle your needs without much complaint; if it starts to act up towards the latter year(s), at least the HW is replaceable/upgradable, which is why they're able to maintain a big pricetag.
- rog reminds me of Macbooks: how the external touch is never warm, always cool... but, i'd strongly consider asking them mfg of display, and if they have upgrade options... if not see how much it would cost to purchase a real good display and installing it into the frame... also closely monitor their audio speakers... besides having cheap ones that are lemons on delivery, they also usually have bad DC popping noise... not sure why they choose to do their own SW/FW for the audio HW. it is almost like they code the speakers to actively turn on/off during media - to save power - and don't care that the end user experiences very annoying popping noise...

their support forums advise of disabling enhancements via the sound-playback controlpanel, however, all that does is lower the audio, making the popping less obvious... after you initial days of excitement, you'll home in on the popping again, and be rather upset.

Sorry for that, I must have not read it properly. Thanks for correcting me.

Nabell531

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Just saying... 860m kills 765m.... No contest. If this laptop if for gaming period the extra power of the 860 is the main factor.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-765M

Kunal singhh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

I'm also buying a new laptop and have the same budget as you. At First I was more inclined towards asus but the alienware is better, only the ram needs to be upgraded. And the people are misinformed maybe? Last time I checked they were offering a 3GB gtx 970m with this model. So alienware obviously wins here.

Nabell531

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

OR... Go with ASUS G751JT..... Very solid... Also has a 970M with 3 GB...