Asus ROG G751JT Battery wear.

arthos4551

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
So i got my new Asus ROG G751JT laptop three days ago. So far ive been treating this thing like a fragile kitten. This is my first "High End" laptop. According to HWMoniter, the battery has already worn by 3%. I usually just use HWMoniter as a temp moniter when stress testing. So Is this program accurate? Should i even listen to it?

I've for the most part followed a base of letting the laptop reach 10% then charge to 98-99% and unplug (which ive always been told is the "safe" way). The only time i do not do this is when im playing a intense game and need the performance boost when the laptop is plugged in. Im not afraid of replacing the battery (its just a pain in the ass).

Solution
I'm not sure where this "don't leave it plugged in" thing came from.
I've always left mine plugged in and have always had great battery life.

Lithium based batteries don't like a full cycle that much. You'll get far more life keeping them topped up regularly, than draining them deeply.
As for the 3%. Who knows how that is measured or how accurate it is. 3% could easily be a normal variation in manufacturing so don't worry about it.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I'm not sure where this "don't leave it plugged in" thing came from.
I've always left mine plugged in and have always had great battery life.

Lithium based batteries don't like a full cycle that much. You'll get far more life keeping them topped up regularly, than draining them deeply.
As for the 3%. Who knows how that is measured or how accurate it is. 3% could easily be a normal variation in manufacturing so don't worry about it.

Solution

arthos4551

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

The whole base thing that I do is all derived from what ive done in the past so ive just continued the habit.I have no idea if its true or not for the leaving it plugged in. I have heard letting it die completely will effect the battery. I'll probably become more easy on it and let it stay plugged while in area to do so.

With the wear, I'll just keep a record and see if there is any negative effects after a couple of months. Thanks!

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Check on the life again in 6 months. Shouldn't see much change. If it's dropped significantly it could be faulty, but I've never had a faulty battery. The ones that are are usually DOA.

All battery chemistries have their own characteristics.

-Lithium hates heat and likes a slow constant discharge.
Discharging from flat creates the most heat. It's a byproduct of a faster chemical. Once the battery is over 50% or so, the charge rate and chemical reaction slows greatly. If you can charge from 0-100% 500 times, you could go from 50-100% maybe 2,000 times.
-Lead (like your car) loves dumping tons of current all at once, but can literally die if totally discharged even once.
-Nickel dislikes a full discharge, but has a memory which will ruin it even faster. Great for camera flashes. Provide half the flashes as lithium, but recharge the flash in half the time.