ASUS ROG G751JY or Alienware 17 R2

Pegasus177

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Hey guys, I'm a PC gamer and I have a pretty powerful rig. Unfortunately work requires me to travel a lot and I can't bring my rig with me (sad face)
so I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop. I'm just stuck between these two and hope you could give me some insight as to which you would choose

ASUS ROG G751JY €2070
http://www.asus.com/ie/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/

Or

Alienware 17 R2 €1930
http://www.dell.com/ie/p/alienware-17-r2/pd.aspx

The G751JY has some more features such as a Blueray disc drive, faster RPM on storage drive and small peripherals like FireWire connection, antivirus included and the CPU is actually the intel i7 4860m 3.60ghz. ASUS are usually dependable when it comes to hardware but it is the more expensive.

The AW17R2 has many of the same specs such as GPU and it's CPU is also intel at 3.50ghz with great after sale support,. including house call repairs and customization options (lighting configuration) and slightly cheaper, also it's an Alienware which is a front runner in brands so you know it's a quality make... but it has the slower HDD speed and no disc drive at all.. Yet it is slightly cheaper...

So which would you choose?

Solution

Pegasus177

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Never mind guys spoke to dell sales. Using part picker I mat he's it's specs to the ASUS ROG G751JY and Its definitely not worth the price point. SSD is extra. HDD only a 5400rpm no higher speed available. While the G751JY comes with a 5400rpm SSD and a 7200rpm HDD as standard. Only 8gb of ram which is enough to game but if I were to match it to the G751JY's 16gb it raises the price even further. After sale care is just a warranty and actually costs extra again to get the years worth of after sale servicing for it. Weaker CPU clock speed. Granted it's only a fraction but getting more bang for my buck with the G751JY.

All in all using the custom part picker to match the AW17R2's weaker specs with the G751JY it would cost closer to €2500 making the dell the more expensive machine by far. Not worth the much higher price tag for the same build and a few flashy lights.
Hopefully the G751JY is as impressive as it looks and I'll be happy with my purchase.

URob

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

So are you happy with your purchase???

Solution

Pegasus177

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

Hello rob,
Yea actually I really am. Now that I look back on it I would have spent so much more for less if I had bought the Alienware.
The G751JY has been phenomenal in performance and I got 2 free games with it (Assassins Creed Unity and Dying Light) so that was a bonus.
It's very quick. Huge memory, fast start up time, lots of little extras such as gamefirst 3, GPU/CPU fine tuner and has not given me a single problem to be honest. I was always a fan of ASUS as the hardware does perform well and this has lived up to the name so far.
My only complaints if I had to find any is that the battery is sealed in as I would normally take out the battery if using the mains plug. When I got it first It was downloading items wry slowly but I found a LAN driver update on the ASUS webpage and it fixed it immediately. Also I still have no idea how to access the BIOS. All the normal keys for entering BIOS on start up don't seem to work. However realistically I have no need to access it as the only reason I would normally is to perfom some tweaks but it has met every task on stock settings.
Other than those minor things it's run like a dream.

So in short, Yes I'm very happy with it