Question ASUS TUF 505 GT (NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650) gpu gets stuck at low effective clock

Aug 20, 2020
I have recently started to use my laptop for casual gaming (low eSports titles non AAA games since its an entry level gpu and some retro gaming emulation). I've noticed that even when enabling high performance on windows power plans, Nvidia control panel preferences to high performance, running msi afterburner and HW info to check for cpu and gpu clock activity, the card gets stuck on low power and low clocks (gpu effective clock in HW info shows around 400 mhz when running Kombustor benchmarks or any gpu intensive program task). The GPU power shows a maximum of 15W when this happens, giving me a hint of "low power mode or low power limit. Please note that the laptop is plugged into AC power the whole time i perform these tests. The benchmarks fps and scores during this are very low and fps are very choppy given the resolution chosen for the benchmarks. Then if i suddenly unplug my AC adapter and plug it again the performance increases and the gpu power limit seems to be restored to around 50W and the gpu effective clock jumps to 1500-1700 mhz, along with a proportionally increased graphic performance (double the fps and half the estimated time for video upscaling tasks on Topaz Video Enhancer AI which is one of my other gpu intensive programs i use). I've tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers using DDU with Windows 10 into safe mode and then using NVCleanstall to do a debloated clean install of the latest drivers and the problem persists. So everytime i need gpu performance i have to "power cycle" the AC plug to get my gpu to work properly and then it stays good until i have to hibernate/shutdown/reboot. Please someone help me with this issue!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
s1b1 Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 0
K Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 7
A Laptop Tech Support 10
K Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 14